My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
honestjohn
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 8n is different than most.Instead of having a short stubby leaver on the right side under the seat to control the speed and position of the PTO,mine has button like a choke cable located on the right front under the seat and behind it is a rocker arm type cable with a leaver on it,what it does I dont know. The lift wont come up unless this button is pulled up.Does anyone know what I have here? Some how I need to be able to control the position of the lift when I use the mower.

·
Premium Member
5,674 Posts
I will go out on limb here and say you have a diverter (sp) valve installed where the hydraulics could be used to operate something other than your 3 point. They were something that you could add to the 'N'.

·
Premium Member
5,674 Posts
That is what I was trying to say but did not do it to well... thanks Ken

·
honestjohn
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok guys...here are some pictures of what we were discussing. Sorry it took so long. I finally figured out how to post pictures.

·
Premium Member
5,674 Posts
Yep, that is the valving I was talkin about seen pics of them before and I am not sure but I believe that plug in the middle is where you hook up the line for the remote.

·
honestjohn
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If this was an add on,and you dont have the controll lever at the rear of the case,how do you controll the height of your shredder?I went over about 3 acres,and spent more time lifting and lowering than shredding,I was either too high or digging dirt.BTW all this help is very much appreciated.Also this tractor has 4 forward ,1 reverse 8 hole lugs on back but the serial# is 9N 292197 I cant make this # match maybe someone put a 9N motor in an 8N tractor. Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,674 Posts
That is because you do not have the hydraulics of an 8N that cover looks like a 9/2N without the draft/position control lever. If you did have there would be a small lever on your cover.

Ken have you a pic handy of an 8N cover?

·
honestjohn
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well there is no telling what I have,9/2n cover,with a 4 forward 1 rev trans,with 8 hole lugs with a no match serial #.

·
Premium Member
5,674 Posts
Well there is no telling what I have,9/2n cover,with a 4 forward 1 rev trans,with 8 hole lugs with a no match serial #.
Over the last 60+ years many things have been changed and swapped over the years. Heck there is even a fellow on one of the boards that has a Ford front end and Ferguson rear end.

Like I said in the other post go by your casting numbers to get an idea of what the majority of parts are from.

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
This is not a 9/2/8N hydraulic cover at all. It is a ferguson. Most likely the whole rear has been changed out. Clearly I can see by you photos the HF (harry ferguson) stamped on the side of the case and hydraulic cover. Basely it's the same as the 9/2n with no position control for implements. It is most likely from a TO20 or TO30. If you send my more photos I might be able to tell you which it is.
Like they said tractor parts get switched a lot between these old tractors.

Kirk

·
honestjohn
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Kirk,I am not very good at posting pictures I had to get my daughter in law to post those others but I went out and got some numbers.Under the seat on the cover in the picture it is stamped HF TO-501-A.On the housing above the dip stick plate is stamped HF-TO-4024.On the right axle it is stamped HF-4012-A.On the left axle it is HF-TO-4013-A.There is a dimond stamped in front and behind these numbers.Thanks

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
I'll see what the #'s are on the TO30 I have laying out behind the barn and let you know. Although I mainly have fords I do have some fergusons and some IH. It doesn't make me a bad guy. just one with too many tractors. I just dragged other 8n out of the weeds and home today.

Kirk

·
Premium Member
5,674 Posts
Good catch there Kirk. Thanks for the pic Ken and that other guy that hangs around here, ah what's his name... oh yeah Steve :sidelaugh

1 - 20 of 29 Posts