My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. Well I have some questions again about my 140. I have a early model with the disc brakes, and uses the older style rear pto shaft. Now my question is can I change the rear end to the 1974 style rear end, or maybe I should say what all changed in the rear portion of the tracters and what would I have to change to make the newer pto style work?

·
Super Moderator
16,674 Posts
You actually IMHO have the Better 140 Then a 74 Because of the disc Brakes They Best way to describe the changes is Go over to http://www.weekendfreedommachines.org/info/index.php Under Model Info Look Up the 140 it will tell You about the changes as Far as Changing the rear ends Out You need to check the archives over at WFM:thThumbsU

·
Light Saber Warrior
448 Posts
what year did the 140's get the drum brakes in the rear?

·
Registered
469 Posts
Hi everyone. Well I have some questions again about my 140. I have a early model with the disc brakes, and uses the older style rear pto shaft. Now my question is can I change the rear end to the 1974 style rear end, or maybe I should say what all changed in the rear portion of the tracters and what would I have to change to make the newer pto style work?
You would be better off searching for a complete late model 140.

integral mechanical disc (1968)
differential mechanical disc (1969-1970)
drum (1971 on)

Many folks will disagree but I would avoid those made up to serial #10,001

John Deere made the biggest changes at serial# 38,000 as many things were beefed up. JD made improvements every year so the late models are built heavier & better. Even the dash is different on the late models, in my opinion any 140 after serial number 63906 is a good find because many of the 300 series parts will fit. You could take the trans & rear out of a 317 and drop it right in a late 140.

The 140 is my favorite of all the older garden tractors its a sweet little tractor and deere only made about 70,000 (est.) of them compared to millions of the 300 series, JD can't afford to build them that good anymore.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts