My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The front mower castor wheels tires are about shot on my F525 and I am going to install new tires. They are mounted on 4 inch steel one piece wheels. The tire casing is EXTREMELY stiff and thick. The job looks like it is going to be a SOB to get done. I called the local tire shop and they refused to work on them stating that they are hateful and near impossible to change. Has anyone here done this before? I would appreciate any suggestions or techniques to change these tires. I included a diagram of the tire to give you a good idea as to what I am dealing with.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The wheel and tire assembly, item 51 is $64 each so I may consider this route worst case. I already have the tires and would like to mount them if possible.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Hi Chief,
I had a similar situation with a wheel chair caster, it is less rubber but the tecnique should work. I carved a log into a cone shape, it small end being small enough for the tire to drop over and the large end just a little larger (1/8" approx.) than the rim od. I pounded the tire down the cone until it was at the large end, put the wheel on a suitable support on its side, held the cone and tire firmly against the wheel, and knocked the tire down onto the rim.
I had tried heating the tire in boiling water before I thought of the cone idea, the boiling water didn't work.
Good luck,
Roger

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I have replace polyurethane band saw tires on a 36 inch bandsaw and also polyurethane caster tires on some casters i had and had good results by boiling them in water, and using a pair of gloves so they could be handled without getting burned managed to work them down and onto the wheels. If you have a bench vise, get a piece of roundstock that will fit thre bore of the wheel, and tighten it up really well in the bench vise with the shaft extending upwards vertically with just enough of it exposed to secure the wheel. I lubed the wheel with some liquid soap as well as the hot tire itself,then start working it on with some round shank screwdrivers for levers if need be, so the shank of the screw drivers do not cut into thr rubber....just like miniature tire tools. It takes quite a bit of time to boil the tires to a point they are flexible enough. I can't speak for all the various compounds used to make these tires etc, but on a poly based material heat works great, and rubber compounds usually do soften up somewhat with heat as well.........

·
Registered
349 Posts
I change walkbehind and stander caster tires all the time.

Used the vise. Clamp down on the outside of the axel housing. Place a big screw driver down the axel tube. Then pry up one side of the tire with a second screw driver, get a little bit over the lip. Then take a second screwdriver and spin it around the tire, using the first screw driver as the pivot point. The tire will spin off like a tire machine. The bottom side is a little harder. I put new tires on with a lot of body weight. Get the bottom on first. Then get almost half of the top on. Then place two vise grips on the rim on each side of the tire. They prevent the tire from coming back off when prying on it. Then used a large screw driver to pry the tire over. Keep moving one of the vise grips until you get the tire on.

Sounds hard, but it works. I do it atleast once a month.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts