My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

So this is how the setup on the tractor I got. Anyone have ideas. Keeps killing my battery. Brand new battery. I did just order a voltage regulator. I wish I could make the controls hydraulic.

·
4,242 Posts
It is creative, but not really the right set up....plows and blowers with the right subframe and lift are often for sale...keep your eyes open on Facebook and CL...you will be a lot happier with it
Is that a Legacy?

·
Premium Member
3,502 Posts
You have to figure out what's happening with the electric system. Could be the charging system on the engine isn't working right, or the winch isn't wired correctly, or there's some other electric problem with the tractor.

Just a note, that while there isn't any functional difference if you engage the electric PTO (it likely has one to run the mowing deck the tractor probably came with), you don't want to engage it, as it uses a bunch of electric amps that the winch could use.

It could also be the winch is just too heavy-duty, and even intermittent use (as you only raise/lower it at the end of passes) could be too much for the electric system on your tractor.

I made a custom plow attachment for one of my larger walk-behind mowers, with the smallest winch I could find (I thinks it's a 2k lb winch, with a 50A fuse), and I haven't had a problem with draining the battery when using it for more than an hour at a time.

·
Registered
161 Posts
If it were me, with everything turned off, I'd remove the fuse and put a VOM across the terminals.

If your seeing parasitic current flow, it becomes a simple case of tracking down the circuit/component that's causing it.

It no flow, it's almost certainly a charging issue. (Diode?)

·
Registered
412 Posts
Interesting - looks like it would take a country mile to turn that rig around with the plow sticking out front that far.
I have a Johnny bucket set up in a similar way with a badlands HF winch like that. I can operate it continually without affecting the battery charge. They do draw a lot of current, so most likely you have a charging issue. That is not uncommon with homemade setups like this. Someone may have hooked the winch up incorrectly or shorted something out or there is just a maintenance/repair issue.
It would be good to re-engineer that winch and plow setup to be more like those designed for the tractor. At least the plow should be mounted like the OEM ones are and then the winch arch designed to fit that arrangement. I am attaching a few pix of my bucket for ideas. The entire thing mounts on frame lugs that came with the sears manual bucket kit.
20190920_134253_resized.jpg

·
Registered
412 Posts
One additional note - for winch operated attachments. You should shorten the winch cable to the minimum length possible. Otherwise you will experience snarling of the cable when it slacks off. Also turn it so the fairlead rollers are usable. speaking from experience...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts