My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys

new here and was wondering if I can get some help from the experts. I have 2 Simplicity mowers. One is a 1960s Landlord 2010 model and the other is a 1980s 7114 Hydrostatic. Both mowers run perfect and cut great. The 60s has some paint wear and the seat cushion is gone, the 7114 is all intact and paint is great.

My grandfather gave me the both of them since he is too old to cut the lawn. I am looking to sell them along with my john deere 160 and put the proceeds towards a scag walk behind or zero turn mower. Id like to cut my acre lawn in 20 minutes or so. Right now its taking me almost an hour with the Deere.

I know there are alot of Simplicity fans and I can see why. Both of these tractors I am going to sell are built like tanks and have been running without any issues for decades. My grandfather had them serviced every other year and they have always been garaged.

Id appreciate any help and Im open to show them to anyone who might be interested on this forum. Im located in Trumbull CT. I am willing to deliver within a 20 mile radius for a small fee as well.

Below are some quick photos I took yesterday with my blackberry.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Attachments

·
Registered
120 Posts
I hate to put a price on them, especially the old Landlord. I'm assuming they only have the mower deck, no snowblower, blades, tillers etc.

The 7114H looks to be a "Turnkey" unit, give it a quick checkup and maybe a little maintenance and put it to work. I would say at least 1K and maybe closer to 2K, spring is the best time to sell though.

The LandLord... The seat is normal, you use them they just dont last over 40 years. That muffler doesn't look original and appears to have some "issues" as well, but as long as the hood isn't cut up, it's no big deal. From what I can see the rest looks great. I see similar tractors in not quite so nice shape, but with a snowblower and sometimes a rototiller in private sales and auctions in the $300 range. I'd love to take a look, but I'm just south of Hanover, NH and it's 400 miles roundtrip.

:crybaby:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wow, didnt expect the 7114 to be worth that much. Both are turn key, cut and drive excellent. The landlord is missing its headlights as well. Not sure on the muffler. It very well might be aftermarket as its a 40+ yr old machine.

Someone offered me $350 for the landlord. Im debating it....

·
Banned
1,081 Posts
Without any extras, that's a good price on a Landlord. It's hard to see details in these pix; but that's the ballpark - some go much less in rougher condition. If it's working well, 350 easy. Andy extras could add on. Garaged, little rust, etc., makes for an easy restoration or refurbishing - and those are not the same approach. Nice wheels, look newish, clean, white.

7100's ballpark 1K - but newer, mid 80's go higher - 1.5K. Cheap deal running .8K. Steal deal .5K. Quite a spread; this one looks good - 1000-1500.

If you keep it, change all fluids, grease, filters, esp. the BGB and Sunstrand trans. They have amazing trans. BGB= bevel gear box. Download a manual from Simp. Do all the maintenance - like a big reset button. ;)

If servicing trans, (recommended) clean is everything, replace filter, dexron atf. One spec of dirt can kill it. Filter spec is tiny 23 microns.

Clean the fins on motor and pull the tins shroud for the air cooler flow from the flywheel area (the blower). Grass buildup or mouse nest is nasty.

Straight 30 SAE oil. Grease with synthetic.

Dump old gas - add seafoam to clean out fuel sys and carb.

enjoy another 30 years.

edit =
7114 is same as allis chalmers 914 (early to mid 80's)
and very similar mechanically to
simp 7014 which is same as AC 714 (mid to late 70's)

simps tend to be briggs cast iron motor
AC tend to be Kohler cast iron motor
otherwise, same thing.

these are all nearly identical - the 7100's have a few nice refinements.
Note they are also similar to larry8200's Sovereign.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Quote from Gray

"these are all nearly identical - the 7100's have a few nice refinements.
Note they are also similar to larry8200's Sovereign. "

The 7100's also have some very annoying "refinements" You'll also find larry8200 loves to post pics of said sovereign.

New paint and decals on hood Monday

:)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
The 7114 is a nice tractor but no way in **** its 2k. Its missing the one very important feature... hydro lift. I would say if you get 800 for it thats fair. A grand is a home run. Anything less then 800 and you are giving it away cheap. The old landlord I would say 300-600 bucks if someone really wants it and it runs great. Call it an average sale of 350-500. I am not a fan of the single cylinder kohlers. I had one...they are rough at idle. I like the newer twins in kohler though. For single cylinders I like the old briggs. The old landlord will run for a long time! I have one just like it as a toy more or less. It will soon get a 12hp motor and hydro lift! Good luck!

·
Registered
419 Posts
I'd keep the Simplicities over buying a ZT any day. About all a ZT can do is cut the grass. On the other hand, there are probably 50-100 implements that you can attach to your Simplicities.

And how many ZTs are going to still be running strong 30 years from now??

·
Banned
1,081 Posts
I just reread your intent to sell. It's your decision, of course. I really don't think an acre of mow is very much. You have the right tractor already. You could add a snowblower for a few hundred and enjoy firing snow 50 feet in the air, and take pix too. ;)

These tractors are made for what you have, and more. You can add lots more attachments also - not so with zt's and wb's. I have a simp walkbehind - small 34" Pacer. My lot size is an acre; but roughly a third is forest. My terrain is varied, some small hills, some rough areas, lots of trees. The walkbehind gets into everywhere w no need for a little pushmower - just a weedwakker if you want to manicure the edges. I only do that once a month. Soon, I will have my 48 deck re-spindled and see how the tractor does on my varied terrain. If I had to mow my entire acre, that would be first choice, and faster than my smallish walkbehind 34". I also have an ancient reel push mower that I show off with sometimes. It's effortless, cos I set it up properly. ;)

The roller on the rear of your deck will produce stripes. You can stripe a weed infested field and make it look like a golf course. It's a whole other thing that only Simplicity is widely known for - but beyond that, a properly leveled deck yields a very level lawn - a quality cut. With stripes, you can do checkerboard patterns or double diamond cuts, or long drawn out lines that wind with the property. If you start mowing with this, and do a few mows, you will probably keep it. Yours to discover. They are really commercial machines. They don't sell cheap when new; quite expensive. They are not like anything craftsman, mtd, etc all those big box mowers. Compare front axles. Drive it and discover the trans that makes it resemble the big tractors. Check out the 1/4" steel of the frame. They are worth more than their typical used market value. They are literally large frame true garden tractors.

True GT's, unlike wannabe socalled gt's, are made for pulling. Much of this is accomplished with the transmission. It's takes surprisingly little engine horsepower to run the Hydro in these tractors - something like 8 hp is lots for light duty, and maybe 11 or so for bigger jobs. Mine has 16hp, yours has 14 hp; and that power, thru the hydro will almost never be used for heavy pulling jobs. There's enough power to wheelie or even flip these tractors - any powerful tractor can do this, and they can be dangerous in that way. But people think they need 25 hp engines to have some kind of real power. There was a thread on this subject recently that got into talk about torque and apparent transmission horsepower - hard to explain all that. These tractor come with one of the best transmissions available; it was the first thing I noticed when I got mine. I like walking it up hills at about 40% throttle; which can be dangerous in terms of wheelie; I just like seeing how the engine, governor, transmission are all inter-related and work together; and the tractor just patiently pulls. That's how I know I have a real tractor.

I have lately been making trails in my small forest for tractor and utility trailer for the purpose of hauling wood out of the forest to the house. I am surprised at how it slow-speed-claws it's way over rough ground, branches, rocks, etc.; it's kinda rough; I have to do this to enable the loaded trailer to do it's thing. Trailer is rated at 1200 pounds - I doubt I will ever use that; but it should be strong enough for a bit of bashing around in the forest. The trail coming back is all slightly uphill too. The real test will be turf tires getting traction to pull a load of wood. And avoiding flat tires. I put obvious obstacles in the trailer for now; eventually the trail will improve. There's enough rocks of significant size to do a garden, or wall, or something like that; and my tractor to help me drag it around. In the past, I hauled wood by hand.

Unless you have specific needs for a large walkbehind, I would not recommend going there. As for zt's, well, I am not a fan - you can talk faster time saving, etc. but it's only one acre. Not a significant difference; and you can pack a beer with you when one hand is free, one hand steering. But if you have a specific need or application for a different commercial machine, go for it.

If you have other interests like gardening, moving materials, snowblow, aerating, dethatching, utility carts, sweepers, vacuums, loader buckets, etc. keep the 7114 as a backup.

Scag is a big name in serious commercial mowers. They have a good rep. Simplicity is part of their competition. Also Ferris, which is high commercial end of simplicity. Top level Scag competes with top level Ferris. 10-12K+. But anything like that for an acre is ego trip or overkill. They all make zt's and walkbehinds - Scag, Ferris, Simplicity, Walker, Wright, Grasshopper. Those come to mind easily. There are others. And the lower levels attempt to imitate them also. Then there's the cheapos in the stores which are insults more than anything else. Your Landlord will drag those sideways around the block.

I know you didn't ask for this; you wanted selling prices. I don't know what needs or wants you have; this is just info offered that might be relevant to an owner of a couple of tractors that are built like tanks. :trink39:

·
Premium Member
3,484 Posts
I guess its the area around here its takes a really nice 7100 series to get over $500 especially without hydro lift.I have a 7118 with power steering that came with deck,tiller,
and hydro lift I paid $450 for at an auction a couple years ago thought that was somewhat of a bargain.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you very, very much for all of your valuable information, especially you, Gray!

Funny you mention the beer thing. All along I was thinking about that and it was honestly going to be the deal breaker. Now that you brought it up it kinda seals the deal. Not to mention I have 4 kids under the age of 10 so I always have at least 1, if not 2 on my lap when I cut the lawn. lol.

I am going to make the 7114 my primary tractor, use my deere as a backup and probably sell the landlord. Id love to keep it but i just dont have the space. The kids all have quads, i've got a husq snow blower, 2 sweepers, 2 trailers, a dethatcher and a bunch of other lawn and garden equipment. My garage and shed are maxed out. I've got an offer of $350 for the landlord so I might go with it. Still thinkin about it.

I guess I'll be going over the 7114 in the next couple weeks. Thanks again Gray for all your detailed information. My gramps was very organized and kept all the manuals for his equipment. He even still has the landlord paperwork and manual. My dad showed me the other day. Its gonna be hard to see that tractor go as it was the first mower I got rides on as a kid and eventually drove when I was 8 yrs old. Never forget pushing that start button all the time in the garage during the holidays and making my grandma go crazy. Hahaha.

I'm glad everyone here is so friendly and caring. You dont find people like this too many places. Its nice to be able to get such detailed info on something you'd think isnt readily available.

And thats cool about the trail in the woods. I have a similar layout on my property and have about 3 cords of wood I split and I'll be cutting down some more trees this fall so Im always hauling wood, dirt, rocks, etc.

Rock on guys and I'll be sure to post some updates and photos of my 7114 project!

GeorgeL

·
Banned
1,081 Posts
Sounds good, George.

I have to say that the info I have, I got from these other people here. Most of these other people know a lot more than I do - they taught me, or pointed me in the right direction, or corrected me a hundred times until I got the drift. I still mess up. :ROF

Whatever I pass along is simply what I have been freely given. Old saying: I keep what I have by giving it away. It's just being in the flow. And you are welcome.

This place has been an amazing resource for me.

·
Registered
333 Posts
wow, didnt expect the 7114 to be worth that much. Both are turn key, cut and drive excellent. The landlord is missing its headlights as well. Not sure on the muffler. It very well might be aftermarket as its a 40+ yr old machine.

Someone offered me $350 for the landlord. Im debating it....
That muffler is the original type Nelson "can" style muffler for that tractor (its over $50.00 for a new one). IMHO, $350 is a fair price for that machine as it sits. If it had the hyd. lift or the hi-lo option it would fetch more $$$$ no doubt.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Holy Cripes, larry8200! You wanna flip 2K for mine, and I'll deliver it! 7116H with deck, blower, and cab.....I ain't never been out east.

George - you hang on to that 7114H. You will NOT regret it. Easy to work on, parts are available. And a surprising amount of power compared to today's "advertised" engine outputs.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Holy Cripes, larry8200! You wanna flip 2K for mine, and I'll deliver it! 7116H with deck, blower, and cab.....I ain't never been out east.

George - you hang on to that 7114H. You will NOT regret it. Easy to work on, parts are available. And a surprising amount of power compared to today's "advertised" engine outputs.
I DID NOT say 2k I said 1K, maybe CLOSER to 2k, IE 1.5K plus, and that it was worth more in the spring! And, as you all know VERY well, that even if you can only get $500 for it, it's still worth more than 1.5K, that you cant replace it for 3 times that.

Please read my posts more carefully.

·
Registered
120 Posts

Hello CederView, Post some pictures. If your 7116H is in comparable shape to
this 7114, and the cab isn't completely mickey mouse, you have a deal.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Here is a picture of a 1995 Broadmoor a member here just purchased for $1,100.00. He admits that was on the high side, But I challenge any of you to honestly say it's not worth every last cent and then some.

Sneering at the idea a beautifully maintained 80's Sovereign might be worth 1K plus?

SHAME ON YOU

Attachments

·
Registered
512 Posts
SHAME ON YOU
Easy there, Larry. Yer feathers are ruffling. :trink39:

My point is this: Simps and AC's must be more common and in greater supply around here so the prices are more reasonable than what you may see - they were built here in cheese country, where we bleed green, gold, and AC orange.

I'm not debating their value, just the their going price in my local market.

Their value is undeniable.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Yep Larry, the broadmoor would go for 1k tops by me. Later in the season 600-800. Its what it is. They very well be worth more by you but I am in simplicity country... It is with in 75 mines of Port Washington...

·
Registered
120 Posts
Welll geeeze.... I had this stupid idea we were debating price here in New England. My sincerest apologies while I go back to my rock....

1 - 20 of 30 Posts