My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Guys,

Some of you may have read my introduction post a couple weeks back about the 7114 tractor I got from my grandfather. I picked it up last night and started going over it. I found 2 problems.

1. The lever/arm that lowers and raises the deck needs adjustment. To raise the deck I have to press the button on the arm and pull it all the way to the rear fender. It wants to go farther (to raise the deck even more) but obviously the fender is preventing me from raising any further. The steel braided cable and all the pieces under the chasis and above the deck look to be connected properly. I found the two allen bolts at the bottom of the arm/lever. I removed them and tonight was going to take the whole arm off to see If I can move it forward and then put it back on. It seems to be someone took the deck off for some reason and didnt put the arm back on correctly? Could that be accurate or do you think the cable underneath isnt connected properly? I am new to simplicity mowers so any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. I am missing what might be 1 or 2 belts. Not sure, it might be just 1. The deck has one pulley. There is no belt around it. I looked between the rear tires and see 2 more pulleys on the pto. They dont seem exactly straight. Well one does, the other looks a little cocked to one side. Is it bent or suppose to be this way? Can someone let me know how easy it is to run another belt(s)? I have a simplicity parts place close to my house so parts arent a problem.

I can take just about anything apart and put it back together. I am a huge do it yourselfer and a perfectionist so Id like to make all the repairs myself. I dont trust other people with my stuff.

Other than that the mower was sitting for 2 years with no gas. I filled it up last night, turned the key and it fired right up. Runs strong and smooth. Im also interested in other attachments. As I understand there are quite a few attachments for this tractor. thanks in advance for the help!

You guys rock!

GeorgeL

·
Registered
419 Posts
On the deck lift, check that the u-clamp on the bottom of the cable (where it connects to the deck) is actually fastened (with a pin) through the lift pin on the deck. Maybe it's not connected to the lift pin and is (incorrectly) hooked t something else. The lift pin is within 6-8" of the center pulley and sticks up through the right-side belt guard.

The one pulley (visible) on the deck is the drive pulley. If you remove the two belt guards on top of the deck, you will see a single belt that drives the blades, off of a pulley down below the drive pulley.

On the PTO, they are supposed to be that way (the way they look). That is to help the belt transition from being vertically-oriented to being horizontally-oriented as it meets the drive pulley on the deck.

I can send you some pics/manuals when I get home tonight. Don't have 'em with me right now.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
AC716H,

thanks for the info but I checked the cable and u clamp and everything looks to be fine. Cable isnt hung up on anything. If I could compare what mine looks like to another working 7114 deck it would probably point out the problem really quick. After thinking about it I dont think the arm/lever was ever taken off the mower because I had to scrape out the factory paint from inside those allen bolts to get my allen wrench all the way inside to break the seal. Problem has to be with the cable or config under the mower.

As far as a pulley gaurd goes on top of the deck I dont see one. The pulley is just naked, nothing around it. I do however have a nother piece of orange metal with two quarter (25 cent) size holes in it. Looks almost like something that would go over the side of the motor but obviously doesnt. Im trying to figure out where it goes on the mower. Maybe this is the pulley guard?

I gotta snap some pics when I get home tonight too.

thanks for the advice and hopefully we can get my issues fix. Thanks for the info on the pulley too. Glad its not bent. How easy/difficult is it to replace that belt?

George

·
Registered
120 Posts
If the deck is set near it's maximum cutting height, the lift will only lift it 1/2" or so. Only the last bit of the levers travel. This is normal. at 2" or mid cutting height, the lift will start lifting at about 1/2 way through the levers travel. You need slack in the cable when cutting to allow the deck to "float"

The belt goes off the angled pulley to the far side of the deck pulley making a half twist on the way, it comes back from the near side of the deck pulley to the straight pulley, again making a half twist. The belt tension lever is below and behind the PTO it is released in the forward position.

The 7100 is slightly different than the 3400 shown, but the routing and general configuration are the same.

The drive belt for the 48" deck is part #108854 1/2 x 45, the spindle belt is part #108450 1/2 x 85

for the 42" deck drive belt is part #168171 1/2 x 47.5 spindle belt is part #108209 1/2 x 82

Attachments

·
Registered
419 Posts
There isn't a pulley guard, it's a belt guard. Actually there are two halves. They have a half-moon cutout to clear the drive pulley arbor.

I sent you a PM.

·
Registered
473 Posts
There is no adjustment on the lever. It is attached to a rockshaft that passes through the frame to the other side. The bolts at the bottom are the only mounting points. You don't need to remove the arm to remove the deck.
How high does the deck lift ?

The piece with the 2 holes is most liikely the deflector that goes over the chute on the side of the deck.

The deck only has one drive belt. Here is how it goes

There is a second belt that actually drives the blades under the belt covers on the top of the deck.

The cable should be on the right side of the rockshaft, attached to the lift point, passing over the lift pulley, then down to the attachment point on the right side of the deck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts