My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read a lot of threads on this forum and see there are some really knowledgeable people here. Please be easy on me as I'm a noob...

I just purchased a 16G can having some troubles determining the year of the tractor as well as the spec of the engine.

Can anyone tell me what year my 16G was made? I noticed the emblems on the front cover are not the same as most posts of 16G's. Most of the one's I see say "professional" on them. The only ID tag that I can find is inside the dash panel and it shows 43780. I cant seem to find a serial number anywhere. Would there be any serial numbers stamped on the frame?

The engine is a Kohler M16 but it does not have an oil filter and the spec sticker is missing. Most of the gravely manuals refer to the M16 as a single cylinder not a twin. It has the flat square air filter. I'm hoping to find out more infor about the M16 so I can order the correct parts. I hope this info and pictures help.

My grandfather and father have owned Gravely's, mostly mid to late 70's 812's. This is the first G in our family. I'm proud to now be a Gravely owner myself.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,311 Posts
Welcome,

OK, first thing, the engine. I know those info stickers on those Kohler's can be hard to read when old, but your engine is not an M16, it is an M18.

Kohler did not make a 16 HP horizontal engine in the Magnum twin series, but they labeled them 16 HP for GRAVELY and left off the oil filter. They also labeled the same engine 15 HP for some Cub Cadet models. Your engine is 18 HP and the oil filter is easily added.

Someone re-did the decals.

That tractor is an early Professional G series because it has a hand control, right hand brake and transmission driven hydraulic lift - 1987, 88?

The number on the plate is the detailed model number - a GRAVELY dealer can look up when it was made/shipped/delivered - especially if you can find the serial number. Not sure exactly where it was on those years.

There are some other on here who may be able to look it and tell you more about the year - but I'm close.

Looks to be in fair shape, you will find plenty of help here.

Sheldon

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I agree with what Sheldon said. Your tractor has to be a 1986-88 since those are the only years to use the short steering column and the hand fwd/rev lever and right side brake pedal. Those parts all changed in 1989. Jason

·
4K Poster and climbing!!!
4,155 Posts
Welcome portsider. You're starting out with a nice machine.

You've just heard from 2 of the most knowledgeable. Someone will be able to nail it down I'm sure.

I see you already know - :wwp:

If you can post some more of closeups of the engine and transaxle they may ad clues to the year. Neat looking engine guard.

Once again - :MTF_wel2:

·
Registered
390 Posts
The serial number on my early 16G is on under the hood right hand side on the outside of the plate that your model number is located

·
Premium Member
8,842 Posts
Welcome,

OK, first thing, the engine. I know those info stickers on those Kohler's can be hard to read when old, but your engine is not an M16, it is an M18.

Kohler did not make a 16 HP horizontal engine in the Magnum twin series, but they labeled them 16 HP for GRAVELY and left off the oil filter. They also labeled the same engine 15 HP for some Cub Cadet models. Your engine is 18 HP and the oil filter is easily added.
Sheldon is right. Kohler never made a Magnum 16 hp engine. Whether it actually produces 18 hp or not is a matter of debate.

Take good care of that engine. Certain core components are a little on the pricey side.

·
Premium Member
3,311 Posts
Sheldon is right. Kohler never made a Magnum 16 hp engine. Whether it actually produces 18 hp or not is a matter of debate.

Take good care of that engine. Certain core components are a little on the pricey side.
Well, Richard, it does not produce 18 HP at the 3300 RPM governor setting GRAVELY used.

And it admittedly does not produce as much torque as those ONAN engines you prefer.

So maybe someone should have challenged GRAVELY about the advertising of the 18-G, but a 16-G easily had the implied 16 HP.

But both the torque and HP of the M18 are more than adequate running at the Kohler designed speed of 3600 RPM.

The Kohler engine was designed to run at top speed, its torque curve is pretty flat. I saw a noticeable increase in power/performance when I increased my governor speed.

GRAVELY did themselves a disservice by slowing down those engines. They may have done it thinking it would reduce warranty issues, but I suspect it caused as many problems as it prevented.

An engine that easily does the job wears less than one that struggles. My still runs great, 750 hours, 19 years, 200 hours running at 3600 RPM.

Sheldon

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I thank each of you for your help!

This whole M16/M18 thing threw me for a loop. The engine has been repainted and the spec sticker removed. I had to scratch the paint away to reveal the original Magnum M16 logo. Now that I know that its really an M18, this should help me find parts for it. I was able to get the engine cranking but it wont run without spraying fuel in the intake. The fuel pump checks out so apparently I didn't do a good enough job cleaning the carb. It was pretty bad, lots of varnish from sitting for a few years full of gas.

Maybe one of these days I'll strip the paint and install correct emblems on the hood.

Canary Al,
I've posted three more pictures of the transaxle and engine if this adds any clues.

If not, thank you again for all of your input. I'm happy with knowing just knowing its in the 86-88 range.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,842 Posts
What you described is a typical lack of fuel. Start by making sure that the fuel runs out of the line at the fuel filter. If it does no either the fuel shutoff valve is closed or something is blocking the gas flow possibly in the tank. If you get good flow of fuel then it is time to remove the carb for a good cleaning.

·
Inveterate Putterer
2,958 Posts
I thank each of you for your help!

This whole M16/M18 thing threw me for a loop. The engine has been repainted and the spec sticker removed. I had to scratch the paint away to reveal the original Magnum M16 logo. Now that I know that its really an M18, this should help me find parts for it. I was able to get the engine cranking but it wont run without spraying fuel in the intake. The fuel pump checks out so apparently I didn't do a good enough job cleaning the carb. It was pretty bad, lots of varnish from sitting for a few years full of gas.

Maybe one of these days I'll strip the paint and install correct emblems on the hood.

Canary Al,
I've posted three more pictures of the transaxle and engine if this adds any clues.

If not, thank you again for all of your input. I'm happy with knowing just knowing its in the 86-88 range.
You may also wish to replace the fuel line front the gas tank to the fuel pump, and then the short length from the fuel pump to the carb. I have a newer 16G that sat for many years before I got it. The fuel line on mine had deteriorated significantly on the inside, with most of the deterioration up near the tank.

Also, have you checked the tank shut off? It is hard to reach, but could be closed. It is at the tank, where the fuel line connects.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Since the tank was in really poor condition the first thing I did before trying to fire it was replacing the tank with a spare and replacing all of the fuel lines. Today, I found carb kit and was able to clean the carb well. Once it was clean and dry I hooked everything up, and vroom! It still needs some carb adjustments, but I'll work on that tomorrow.

I engaged the PTO and as soon as I did, it killed the engine (even at high RPM and no load on the PTO shaft). I'll have to start that investigation another day.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts