My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, first time posting on the forums. I have just been thrust into buying a new tractor this summer after my Craftsman GT3000 went up in flames last week(funny story, but to be saved for another day). Luckily my home owners insurance is going to cover the cost to replace it.

I have been searching long and hard for the past week and a half on what tractor i want to get. I have to keep my budget around the $2500 range since that is what the tractor was worth when i bought it in 2001. Anyways, I have just over 1 acre to cut and most of it is sloped over 15 degrees and has a lot of trees to mow around. Plus i need to be able to pull cart around for hauling rocks and the like.

The Craftsman i had was a great tractor, but not real enthused in getting another Craftsman since all the Garden Tractors now have a 54 inch deck when mine had a 48 inch which was perfect. Plus i don't want to have to deal with Sears in part replacement, again.

The 4 tractors i am looking at are:

Simplicity Regent 22/44 - read nothing but great things here about this tractor

Husqvarna: LS2348 - good tractor from the reviews i have seen and similar to my old Craftsman - might go next size higher if needed

JD x300 - Highly recommended series from everyone here and the most i can afford from JD

Craftsman GT5000 - Basically a fall back option

What i would like to know is if these tractors will be able to do what i want them to do....cut hilly, sloping ground and haul stuff in a cart. Not really worried about ground engagement because i really don't need it. I tried searching through the forums on some of the above tractors, but couldn't find anything that really told me if the above tractors can do what i want to do. Any advice or opinions is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
I'm pretty sure the 1st three have the K46 tranny which is generally not recommended for hilly terrain. The Craftsman has the K66 which is a heavier duty tranny than the K46 and better suited to your requirements.

A heavy duty tranny should be one of your main considerations when it comes to hills and hauling a loaded cart. There's been a thousand postings on here that go into great detail about tranny failures. Do an on-site search using key words like "transmissions", "tranny", "K46", etc... and you'll be able to gather a wealth of information. Definately do this before making any decisions on your purchase.

Just a thought.......take the $$$ and buy a nice, used, well maintained GT instead. $2,500.00 buys alot of used Garden Tractor!

:goodl: & :MTF_wel2:

·
16,487 Posts
"Woodsy" posted a good idea--and a cleaver alternative, if you have a little time,and are mechinacilly inclined at all.
You can find a nice , used GT in pretty good shape for that $$...
Just have to do some digging....

Oh--BTW--:MTF_wel:

·
Retired Aug.31 2007
7,473 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Glad to have you with us. You had a GT before so I would think that the Craftsman GT 5000 would be a great replacement in your price range.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. This is the info i was looking for. As far as getting a used GT, I am really not mechanically inclined enough to get one and work on it. I know enough to change the oil/filter and fix issues with the mowing deck. Know nothing about fixing the engine or tranny. I will look into the more heavy duty trannies then. I can probably go higher on the price if i have to.

Jeepersmith - I might go that route if i have to. The 54" deck is a little too big for what i need though.

·
Registered
112 Posts
What about a new ingersoll?

I don't know how much they are
someone else can maybe help on that point.

I'm sure that would get the job done and then some!

Jser

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
New Ingersoll is around $11,500.00

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks again for the replies. Now that I know to look for a heavy duty tranny, it should help me find what i need rather easily.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Alright. I have narrowed my list down to 2 now:

Craftsman GT5000 and the Husqvarna GLS 27/48

Since these have the HD tranny i need and are in my price range(although the Husqvarna is higher than i want to spend). I am really going to push getting the Husqvarna since it has the 48" deck i want. Hopefully the local dealer will work with me on price.

BTW, anybody have any opinions on the Toro GT2000 line of tractors. I know they are MTD and are reasonably priced, but i am real leery about anything that is MTD made. I did try a search in the Toro forums, but not much in way of discussion on that series of tractor.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I decided on the Husqvarna 2748 GLS and picked it up today(was lucky...local dealer had one in stock). Can't wait to try it out this week...my grass is really bad right now.

I want to give a big shout out to all the members on this forum. This place rocks with the info and friendly advice you can get here. I have learned so much the past 3 weeks from reading this forum.

·
Retired MTF Admin
26,551 Posts
So I decided on the Husqvarna 2748 GLS and picked it up today(was lucky...local dealer had one in stock). Can't wait to try it out this week...my grass is really bad right now.

I want to give a big shout out to all the members on this forum. This place rocks with the info and friendly advice you can get here. I have learned so much the past 3 weeks from reading this forum.
:trink39: Glad to hear you got a tractor...Don't forget, :wwp: :wwp:

·
Registered
444 Posts
Gratz on the new equipment! Best of luck & enjoy mowing.

·
Retired Aug.31 2007
7,473 Posts
Congratulations on the new machine. Looking forward to pictures.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ken
where can I put starter-switch so I can crank motor on my model b
I just rebuilt my starter it's and old tractor that I bought for $300.00 I used it to haul
cedar I had it in the barn for about 3 yrs. had my wife pulled me and it started
thank-you [email protected]
Al

1 - 16 of 16 Posts