My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A year ago someone brought a AC 312 to my son, saying it would not run and could he fix it. It has a Kohler K301 and my son asked me to look at it as he has no experience with the older motors. The owner showed up win I was looking it over and told me he had loaned it to someone to mow with and he brought it back dead. I figured out it had thrown a rod, so I took it home to tear down and figure cost. When i got it home I found that the clutch pedal was rusted and would not move. We gave him a cost of $400 for parts and labor to rebuild it. He got back to my son and said he could not aford that and had a lead on a used motor. We don't have a phone number for him as he just stopped by my sons. We have not heard from him in over a year and my wife is getting tired of it setting in the back yard. The tractor is not in bad shape. I have had a couple of guys stop by and want to buy it. I don't know what to do. What advice do you guys who work on mowers, should I sell it or wait a while longer?

·
Certified Technician
8,420 Posts
Slippery slope...there is no right or wrong answer..

·
10K and Climbin!
12,390 Posts
So some guy brought a tractor to your son to fix. Is he a registered shop or business? He should have at least got a phone # from the dude.. He should consult with his lawyer how to proceed.

If it's just a residential fix-it shop.. The fact that the dude has now left the tractor in your possession for a year sure indicates at least to me to me that he really doesn't want it back. You get another offer- dump it! The dude comes looking for it a year later, oh well.. Tell him you were tired of the thing in the lawn and the town got after you having so many tractors about or something like that.. Also a Year's storage fees should equal just about what the thing was worth..:dunno: JMO

It all depends on how well you know the dude (and if he has Mob connections!!) :hide:

:goodl:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts