My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went outside to crank the 814 and the PTO was stuck on. I moved the lever back and forth.. Nothing. I figured if I would try mowing the yard maybe something would trip and fix itself.. Nope.

I am stuck. I don't really know what I am looking for. I know it says something about travel..blah blah.. in the manual... None of that helps. I took the lever off and moved the part on the transmission back and forth and still do not get it to turn off.

Someone help!

·
Finally at 1k!
1,518 Posts
I went outside to crank the 814 and the PTO was stuck on. I moved the lever back and forth.. Nothing. I figured if I would try mowing the yard maybe something would trip and fix itself.. Nope.

I am stuck. I don't really know what I am looking for. I know it says something about travel..blah blah.. in the manual... None of that helps. I took the lever off and moved the part on the transmission back and forth and still do not get it to turn off.

Someone help!
sounds like the clutch is stuck, you might have to tear it apart to fix it. Some one with more knowledge then me will be along soon to give you some pointers.

·
Premium Member
8,842 Posts
Put the clutch rod back on and leave it in the disengaged position. Overfill the transmission by 2 quarts of oil and then mow the grass with the PTO disengaged.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I really have no grass to mow considering I just mowed it earlier. I have it outside running with the PTO off (but the blades are still spinning). I guess I will shut it off once the PTO stops spinning. I hope this works.. If not...

Whats the alternative?

·
Registered
384 Posts
To free mine up I used the "wack the frame" technique. It's not for the faint of heart. Take the mower deck off and shaft off the PTO spline that drives the mower. Drive around for a half hour to get the transmission up to temp and the PTO clutch nice and wet. Turn off the tractor and put the shaft back on the PTO spline. Since it's a u joint the square shaft will hang down towards the ground. Unhook your spark plug and take it out of the head so there is no way the engine will start. Then bump the starter causing the shaft to swing around and wack the frame. After a couple good wacks it should free up the PTO clutch. Once free make sure to drain the transmission and refill it. It calls for 6 quarts but the most mine ever took is 5 and 1/2. Probably a half quart didn't drain from the nether areas of the transmission.

Now my PTO disengages but it takes a while. For example the deck spins a little bit when I start the tractor but after 20 seconds or so it stops. I've been told this is not uncommon.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To free mine up I used the "wack the frame" technique. It's not for the faint of heart. Take the mower deck off and shaft off the PTO spline that drives the mower. Drive around for a half hour to get the transmission up to temp and the PTO clutch nice and wet. Turn off the tractor and put the shaft back on the PTO spline. Since it's a u joint the square shaft will hang down towards the ground. Unhook your spark plug and take it out of the head so there is no way the engine will start. Then bump the starter causing the shaft to swing around and wack the frame. After a couple good wacks it should free up the PTO clutch. Once free make sure to drain the transmission and refill it. It calls for 6 quarts but the most mine ever took is 5 and 1/2. Probably a half quart didn't drain from the nether areas of the transmission.

Now my PTO disengages but it takes a while. For example the deck spins a little bit when I start the tractor but after 20 seconds or so it stops. I've been told this is not uncommon.

Sounds like a winner to me. I tried mowing a .25 of a acre for 2 hours with no such luck tonight. Tomorrow I will pull the deck and "wack the frame". I was thinking about getting a pipe wrench and putting around the shaft and bumping the starter. I was afraid though bc I was going to either scratch the shaft OR tear out the clutch.

How often has this happened to you?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts