My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our place is overrun again this year with stupid gophers ok Richardson Ground Squirrels is the proper name for our species but none the less we have them everywhere and I need to erradicate the problem. I do not want to get a .22 as I don't have a fire arms lisc and don't have time to take the crse etc and also don't want to scare our Llamas so I am leaning toward a .22 cal pellet rifle with a scope. I know you can get these things up around 1200fps so that should be just fine except I have been away from this stuff for 35 years and obviously know nothing so anyone got any recommendations to a good pellet rifle?

Thanks

·
Deceased October 2017
21,767 Posts
I bought a good pellet gun at Walmart .. well as good as Wamart sells to shoot squirrels and groundhogs.. But its darn near as loud as a .22
I bought it in hopes to keep the noise down .. which did not work. You may want to consider that saskman, they will scare your Lamas too

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
Saskman, I though you guys could still get a rifle without much ado - was handguns they outlawed.

Ken in NJ is correct about the noise of an air rifle. I have one that is capable of 1200 FPS, but it is loud and the pellet may not have the mass necessary to take a gopher out unless you are close and a very good shot.

Back when I lived in Colorado, I found that my .300 Win Magnum did quite nicely at 200 yards on prairie dogs.

·
collector of the old
380 Posts
benjamin is a good pellet rifle, but you pay for the name

·
Administrator
21,221 Posts
I have an old one that's probably 35-40 years old. Somehow it ended up in my closet, not sure where it came from. Saw a bunch of ground squirrels last spring messing around their burrow, about 50 ft from my bedroom sliding doors. I gave the old girl 3-4 pumps (it's a 10 pump max, I seem to remember), and tried to look thru the scope to no avail. So, I just shot in the general direction. It's a .177 caliber, so nothing special. Well, let me tell you, it doesn't take much to take out a ground squirrel.

Of course, then I felt bad about it...

·
Deceased October 2017
21,767 Posts
I have an old one that's probably 35-40 years old. Somehow it ended up in my closet, not sure where it came from. Saw a bunch of ground squirrels last spring messing around their burrow, about 50 ft from my bedroom sliding doors. I gave the old girl 3-4 pumps (it's a 10 pump max, I seem to remember), and tried to look thru the scope to no avail. So, I just shot in the general direction. It's a .177 caliber, so nothing special. Well, let me tell you, it doesn't take much to take out a ground squirrel.

Of course, then I felt bad about it...
Murderer !!! :sidelaugh :sidelaugh

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
I've had the same experience with pellet rifles in the 80 - 100 dollar range. Besides being nearly as loud as a .22 short the target needed to be about wash tub size. For consistent accuracy one may have to get into the competition category. But 25 years ago a K-mart, probably Benjiman, seemed to be a good average one and my kids got a lot of good shootin from it.

Your gophers look more like close cousins to our prairie dog than our gophers.

Pictured is a trap designed for our gophers. Since they don't like their tunnel to be open because of snakes they always close it after excess soil is mounded on the surface from tunnel renovation. This trap is designed to be tripped by dirt he/she is pushing to close the opening and usually catches them around the rib cage area. But even though your gophers have different burrow habits I see no reason this style of trap couldn't be modified to trap your gophers.

Attachments

·
15,000 +posts!
20,421 Posts
The Crossman 760 pump gun shoots BB's or .177 cal. pellets,one of those pumped up 10 times rivals a .22's muzzle velocity..Walmart sells them for about 35-40 bucks ,last time I looked..

Might try .22 BB caps or "shorts",they aren't too loud,and will be strong enough at close range..they sell .22 shot shells too..if you want a silent way to snuff them,maybe wire up some carrots to an extention cord's bare wires..!..
BBZZZZZZAAPPP..!! ++
"

·
Castor Freak
2,167 Posts
12 gauge buckshot, just give the Llamas some hearing protection :ROF I would think that a good pump pellet gun should do the trick, I have a Benjamin pump pistol and I bet it could take out a gopher from quite a distance.

·
Lawnboy Green
633 Posts
Maybar,
How does your trap work? Is it a snare?

Saskman,
.22 bolt action rifle can fire target loads which dont break the sound barrier and this will eliminate the sonic crack when the bullet leaves the muzzle over 1100fps. You could also use 'shorts' or 'CB;s' which make less noise than a pellet gun. Whatever you choose, you will need enough bullet energy to kill rather than maim.

Best wishes,
Bob

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Maybar,
How does your trap work? Is it a snare?

Best wishes,
Bob
------------------------------------------------------------------
The jaws (far right in pic) lay in close proximity to the tunnel walls. The critter travels into them and the trap is tripped when light pressure is applied to the thin V shaped metal piece since it is just barley caught on that wire rod end that runs parallel to the trap length.

·
Just Have a Little Faith!
9,271 Posts
I do not want to get a .22 as I don't have a fire arms lisc and don't have time to take the crse etc and also don't want to scare our Llamas so I am leaning toward a .22 cal pellet rifle with a scope.
Thanks
How many of you read the part where he doesn't want a firearm? That includes 4-10s, .22 shorts and birdshot . I second the Crosman 760. It doesn't make that much noise and is readily available.

·
A day ahead of y'all..
4,597 Posts
You are wasting your time and money....

Get rid of their food, and they will either starve to death, or move to the neighbors place... Get something that will safely kill the grubs they eat in your yard.

Uncle Greg

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You are wasting your time and money....

Get rid of their food, and they will either starve to death, or move to the neighbors place... Get something that will safely kill the grubs they eat in your yard.

Uncle Greg
Waste of time or not they have to be dealt with. They are bad enough the provincial gov't legalized high dose strichnine insted of just the strichnine laced grain for use due to the problems. They have destroyed huge amts of land and caused untold damage to cattle herds etc from broken legs in the holes here in Sask over the last couple years. It's war I tell ya. BTW these guys eat grass etc so getting rid of their diet is a bit more complex than that.

http://www.agriculture.gov.sk.ca/Control_Ground_Squirrels

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for all the input, hopefully something will turn up to get them..

·
A day ahead of y'all..
4,597 Posts
saskman,

By "waste of time" I meant, all the guns and traps are a waste. Until you get rid of their food, you are just irritating the population. :fing20:

I was thinking your home yard/property had the problem.

Good Luck

Greg

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
saskman,

By "waste of time" I meant, all the guns and traps are a waste. Until you get rid of their food, you are just irritating the population. :fing20:

I was thinking your home yard/property had the problem.

Good Luck

Greg
Guess I could just take and spray the whole yard with roundup.. That'll get rid of the food.:sidelaugh

1 - 20 of 36 Posts