My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My coworker and I are thinking about going in together for a welder. We both have worked at the machine shop for years (15 for me, 25 for him). We don't do and welding in the shop, so my employer wont purchase one.. but has said we can put one in there and use it if we would like.

My coworker has welding experience(in his distant past), I do not. So I think we are looking for something that would be a good fit for someone new to welding and someone with past experience. We talked and we figured we would like something gas less, wire feed and can be plugged into a regular socket (shop has 230v, but we would like to bring it home for small jobs).

We are not looking for an industrial welding set-up here.. just something for light welding from time to time for our own projects. So, we want to try to keep it around $200 ($100 each).

So, I'm looking for some suggestions on brand/ type of welder.

Thoughts?
Wasper

·
somanytractorsolittletime
493 Posts
Used mig welders could be found for 300.-400. 110 volt try to find a name brand, miller, lincoln,hobart also check the pawn shops(I know!) my friend found a lincoln sp135 for $350.00. Try craigslist, punch in welder there are always some for sale.

Heres one in east hampton,ct. eastern, ct. craigslist for $200. miller 130

[email protected]

good luck

·
Banned
297 Posts
Well,you can buy what your looking for but I wouldn't waste 200 bucks on it.

You all need to open up your wallet a little more.

·
Run ahead of the pack
9,970 Posts
I was in research of a feed welder few mount ago, the mane brand that pop-up 95% of the times was Lincoln, Hobart and Miller, Miller is more expensive and if I'm not mistaken Hobart is made by Miller.

I know that most of the experience welders don’t recommend buying Chinese product.

The big thing to look at is the duty cycle and the output voltage (minimum is 20% at max output).

Northern tool have the Hobart Handler 140 for $480.00 Here

Me I find a Lincoln weld pack 100HD barely used on eBay for $150.00 + shipping. :goodl:

·
life is good
1,048 Posts
Your best bet is to find one of the big 3.
As mentioned above, Lincoln, Miller and Hobart.
My advise would be to get a 220v one.
You can turn them down low enough to weld thin material and upto 5/16" with flux core. That would also keep you gasless. And running wire.

·
Shop = My Therapy
3,158 Posts
Like everyone has said. Lincoln, Miller, or Hobart. I have a Lincoln. Grew up with Lincoln and Miller's. Nothing better. I got my Lincoln on ebay for about $200. Pawn Shops are great options too.

·
Shop = My Therapy
3,158 Posts
Good welder. Will do most things you will need it too.

·
Registered
34 Posts
It's just "ok" really... for $130 more you can get the Handler 140 which comes with the gas regulator and hose so there's nothing else needed down the road when you're slapping your forehead :fing20: saying you wish you had sprung for that extra $130 when you could have. I have the Handler 140 and it is an awesome "household" machine. With a bit of patience, you can get good welds on up to 3/16" steel. You will never be able to do that with the 125 without learning lots of new words. :crybaby: Sheet metal and maybe up to 1/8" with lots of patience is what you can expect with the Handler 125. You also need to keep in mind that neither of these 110V machines have a very long duty cycle. I think it's somewhere around about 15-20% maybe. As was mentioned earlier, Hobart is made by Miller. In fact my 140 came with a Miller labelled gun. Also as has been mentioned... check the pawn shops and CL... a used Hobart, Miller or Lincoln is going to be a lot better buy in the long run than one of the Chinese knockoffs. :thThumbsU

·
Registered
44 Posts
just to throw my 2 cents in. i bought the 110v mig from sears. its a craftsman flux core and with a little spatter guard i have done quite abit at the house the last 2 years. yeah i have to be a little patient with the cycle time, but i make due. it advertises up to 3/16 but i have done 1/4 with a couple passes and if there is any question of strength on the weld it was for a new head for my homemade logsplitter and it has been splitting wood just perfectly for sometime now with no cracking. i have been very happy with my purchase.

·
Retired Super Moderator - Deceased September 2015
26,679 Posts
Not familar with that unit, looks like it would do for light work. It is probablly to light for welding your caster project. Just my opinion. might do it if you preheat!:trink39:

·
Banned
297 Posts
Ain't got nothing against chinese welders,or *** welders or canadian welders for that matter,,,but would never get a 110 mig,waste of money,,,like said,,you guys need to open up your wallets a little bit more:trink40:buying a welder ain't like buying many other things[tools],you need to have a machine that will not only work but will help you learn,,welding ain't like buying a drill,think about anybody knows how to drill or at least figure it out real quick on their own,,welding ain't like that...

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
Not familar with that unit, looks like it would do for light work. It is probablly to light for welding your caster project. Just my opinion. might do it if you preheat!:trink39:
Those are some beefy hunks of metal you've got there in that project.

Now preheating is putting the material in something like an oven, or do guys use torches? If an oven, you'd likely need 220V service or a pretty understanding wife.

·
life is good
1,048 Posts
When I preheat something I use a torch with a rosebud tip on it.

·
Banned
297 Posts
Well,if you gotta even think about preheating something so's your welder can maybe weld it,,you need a bigger/more better welder,,you preheat thicker steel to prevent cracks,[slow the heat sink down],you preheat to get rid of mosture,you preheat to burn off oil/grease/paint,,,you don't preheat to aid in penatration,sillyest thing I ever heard of....:thanku:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts