My Tractor Forum banner

Need Opinions on a Generac Generator

5K views 27 replies 11 participants last post by  BillT 
#1 ·
I'm looking at a Generac 5500 on sale here locally and I'm looking for opinions on Generac's in general as well as this specific model. This one is Model #6672. Also wondering how good their Customer Service is, as if I do buy it, this will be my first Generac product.

Here is a link to it:

Generac Power Systems - 5500 watt RS Series Portable Generator - 6672

All opinions and any info would be appreciated.

#4 ·
I own a 4000 watt model that Ive had since 2000 and never had a problem with it.
Looks like they took the 12 volt battery charge function out as years past.
Good machines that work very well and quiet too. Generac used to make their own engines and I believe they still do. Mine has the low idle function for use with low consumption times as a power tool being used then off and back on. Nice feature probably not available on larger models.
I did have to call customer service once about an oil filter cross reference and ended up talking shop to the guy for half an hour. And spoke English and here in US. Means alot to me.
It doesn't really look a whole lot different than my 19 year old 4000 watt model.
I think you would be very happy and satisfied with it.
Hope this helps out.

#9 ·
I have a Generac 5500XL that is 20 years old. It has never failed me so far. I leave stabilized gas in it all year, start it up every couple of months and make sure it is outputting current. The engine was made by Generac. The newer models have Briggs engines, and as Russ said, there have been some problems. Most of the problems I've read on here concern their on-demand generators. Not saying the portable gen you are looking at is not good, but before you buy it I would read some unbiased reviews online.

#10 ·
Mine is a 7kw. Poorly engineered and absolutely lousy customer support. Had to write a letter to the VP in the executive suite. I would advise you to go with any other brand. Have had it for 5 years, and am now on my 3rd mother board. I am not exaggerating. It's not cool to go on the 'net and admit you made a bad decision by buying that brand.

#15 ·
Sounds just like me with my 6250 Troybilt. Worse deal I ever made. No exaggeration. And I'm in my 60's, lol.

It is still like new, only a few hours on it and not that old. Presently a Boat Anchor. Having trouble getting $100 for it just to get rid of it.

This post has been deleted
#16 ·
Don't these morons that manufacture and market these crappy generators know that people will be all over the 'net telling people not to buy them? how do u spell stupid?

#18 ·
Although respectfully but firm, that's just about exactly what I told the Troybilt supervisor on the phone once I was convinced that they would not do a thing for me.

He didn't seem that phased. Not even an apology. We both hung up on a sour note.

#24 ·
I bought a Rigid 7000 watt running generator several years ago. Has a Yamaha 360 OHV engine. About 5 lengthy outages on it, maybe 95 hours total so far. Have no idea who makes these.

Was hard starting at first. Had to heat the plug, dribble some gas into the cylinder and it would start and run. I finally figured out that the choke plate was not closing when the choke was set full on. Once I corrected that, I just do full choke, pull a couple times and if fires right up, open the choke and it goes. Gotta run it ever couple months but so far so good. It runs several circuits including the gas forced air furnace, refrigerator, family room with TV, and upstairs bed & bath. Its run thru on of those switch panels that isolates the gen from the grid when in use.

Generac used to be a good name, I believe they produced their own engines if I recall correctly. Seems a shame that the back room has damaged their reputation.

Is it possible that Generac, like many other formerly "top shelf" tool brands was sold to foreign ownership, manufacturers, and management? Seems like that has been the trend of late.

#25 ·
Is it possible that Generac, like many other formerly "top shelf" tool brands was sold to foreign ownership, manufacturers, and management? Seems like that has been the trend of late.
Seems that way with TROYBILT.

It was made in China for sure. It was written right on the box. Although I don't like it, that part didn't bother me a whole lot as long as it was a good product to last a reasonable amount of time. But there is no excuse for the poor Customer Service.

When I first called soon after I bought it, I had just a couple of simple questions. It was so strange that I had to ask "Is this Troybilt"? I then said that "I need to be connected to Customer Service". They said "This is Customer Service". Still not happy with answers to my questions, I then said "Can you connect me to Tech Support"? They said "There is no Tech Support, just us here". I then proceeded to continue with my simple questions. Still not satisfied with the answers, I finally asked "Don't y'all have one there for reference"? I finally gave up practically answering my own questions.

Before I decided on another brand, I decided to do my homework first. I called Generac like I was already a customer, just to check out the service. I did tell them that though towards the end of the phone call and explained my poor decision with Troybilt.

But it was like Troybilt all over again. Their Customer Service seemed to be just as poor. I almost thought I was talking to the same people.

#26 ·
I must be the lucky one in the group. :dunno:

Have had a Generac 8000 for almost 7 years. Got it shortly after Hurricane Sandy left us without power for 5 days. It has worked every time I needed it and that's been at least once a year since. From several hours to 24 hr.+. Only this past year did battery go dead. But started right up with pull start.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.