My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at a Generac 5500 on sale here locally and I'm looking for opinions on Generac's in general as well as this specific model. This one is Model #6672. Also wondering how good their Customer Service is, as if I do buy it, this will be my first Generac product.

Here is a link to it:

Generac Power Systems - 5500 watt RS Series Portable Generator - 6672

All opinions and any info would be appreciated.

·
Kish JD 318/420/430
3,864 Posts
Is this going to be permanent install on a house? Have you added up the wattage/amps needed? Remember to take into account, starting current on motors/compressors.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, this is just a Portable that will be used to run just a few different requirements during a power outage.

The 5500 will be sufficient enough for our needs.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I own a 4000 watt model that Ive had since 2000 and never had a problem with it.
Looks like they took the 12 volt battery charge function out as years past.
Good machines that work very well and quiet too. Generac used to make their own engines and I believe they still do. Mine has the low idle function for use with low consumption times as a power tool being used then off and back on. Nice feature probably not available on larger models.
I did have to call customer service once about an oil filter cross reference and ended up talking shop to the guy for half an hour. And spoke English and here in US. Means alot to me.
It doesn't really look a whole lot different than my 19 year old 4000 watt model.
I think you would be very happy and satisfied with it.
Hope this helps out.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wlmitty,

Appreciate that info. I believe I will be going for it. It also got pretty good reviews online.

Thanks again.

·
Kish JD 318/420/430
3,864 Posts
Good luck with it, it appears the company has a bad product/bad warranty/bad service from what I've researched on-line.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I called Customer Service today and they told me that any tech questions or any warranty work would be handled by the local authorized dealers. I know one of them personally. Hope it all goes well if I ever need any.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
They never had good service in Canada, very few repair centers although lots being sold through the box stores. If your buddy can support it so much the better.

·
We're all friends here
14,263 Posts
I have a Generac 5500XL that is 20 years old. It has never failed me so far. I leave stabilized gas in it all year, start it up every couple of months and make sure it is outputting current. The engine was made by Generac. The newer models have Briggs engines, and as Russ said, there have been some problems. Most of the problems I've read on here concern their on-demand generators. Not saying the portable gen you are looking at is not good, but before you buy it I would read some unbiased reviews online.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Mine is a 7kw. Poorly engineered and absolutely lousy customer support. Had to write a letter to the VP in the executive suite. I would advise you to go with any other brand. Have had it for 5 years, and am now on my 3rd mother board. I am not exaggerating. It's not cool to go on the 'net and admit you made a bad decision by buying that brand.

·
Registered
68 Posts
where I work is an authorized Generac service center, Most of the time Generac dosen't send the right parts- and you can pretty much forget about getting them to pay for warranty repairs.

·
Registered
870 Posts
where I work is an authorized Generac service center, Most of the time Generac dosen't send the right parts- and you can pretty much forget about getting them to pay for warranty repairs.
Those are pretty meaty words coming from a Generac technician.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I am pretty sure ex-generac service center, the boss was pretty mad when they were unable to get a valve cover gasket for a suitcase 3000 watt that leaked straight out of the box....

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Mine is a 7kw. Poorly engineered and absolutely lousy customer support. Had to write a letter to the VP in the executive suite. I would advise you to go with any other brand. Have had it for 5 years, and am now on my 3rd mother board. I am not exaggerating. It's not cool to go on the 'net and admit you made a bad decision by buying that brand.
Sounds just like me with my 6250 Troybilt. Worse deal I ever made. No exaggeration. And I'm in my 60's, lol.

It is still like new, only a few hours on it and not that old. Presently a Boat Anchor. Having trouble getting $100 for it just to get rid of it.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Don't these morons that manufacture and market these crappy generators know that people will be all over the 'net telling people not to buy them? how do u spell stupid?

·
Kish JD 318/420/430
3,864 Posts
There are many more people who are unaware, then those who know about the companies' warranty, support, parts issues.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Don't these morons that manufacture and market these crappy generators know that people will be all over the 'net telling people not to buy them? how do u spell stupid?
Although respectfully but firm, that's just about exactly what I told the Troybilt supervisor on the phone once I was convinced that they would not do a thing for me.

He didn't seem that phased. Not even an apology. We both hung up on a sour note.

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Although respectfully but firm, that's just about exactly what I told the Troybilt supervisor on the phone once I was convinced that they would not do a thing for me.

He didn't seem that phased. Not even an apology. We both hung up on a sour note.
It's not as much the generator part of the equation but the lousy engines and governors they put on them
Generac is one of the worst as far as reliable service and parts when you need it most
Buyer Beware

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It's not as much the generator part of the equation but the lousy engines and governors they put on them
Generac is one of the worst as far as reliable service and parts when you need it most
Buyer Beware
In the Troybilt case, it was the other way around. The Briggs and Stratton Engine runs great. It's all the Electrical Components that quit (Rotor, Regulator and Brushes). With approx 3 Hours of time on it to boot.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts