My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Retired MTF Founder & Administrator
15,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im not sure if this is a tier, a rim or a trailer question... :fing20:

i got a new motor for my boat last year, the new boat has a longer 'lower unit' or rudder? whatever its called...

when the motor is in the down position on my trailer, there is hardly any clearance.. maybe 4".
I was just backing it down the side driveway, and felt resistance.. im glad i didnt force it... i got out and the rudder was in the driveway - about 1/2" into the hot top. :Stop:

so needless to say, i need more height...

the tires are 4.8*12 the rims are 5 lugged...

do you think i can get new rims? or new tires for the rims? to get me a few more inches?

or of course, i could raise the motor :trink40: but the batteries dead and its still under wraps...

id like to get more height and still be able to keep the motor in the down position

can i just get new tires that might add a bit of height?

·
Deceased October 2017
21,767 Posts
Is there anyway to lower the trailer tongue ? Is your ball mount adjustable ?? That would bring up the rear of the trailer if you can lower the ball or ball mount ??

·
Registered
643 Posts
The logical answer to your problem is to tilt the engine up. That's what the tilt function is for. But if you want to be able to leave it in the "down" position, I think you should be able to go to bigger wheels. Probably 14" wheels and tires will give you the lift you need. Check with a wheel or tire shop and see what you can safely do.

·
Super Moderator
31,834 Posts
Well first off IMHO your always better off with a little taller tire if it will fit. make the trailer rider a little better, and slows the wheel bearings down a little. That being said, you also need the room at the TOP of the wheel. Most trailers have the fenders pretty close to the top of the tire, and the boat pretty close to the fender. Not a lot of room to change to much. Other then that, most boat trailers have a adjustment for the bunks, or rollers to raise, or lower the boat on the trailer. that may be your better bet.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
The logical answer to your problem is to tilt the engine up. That's what the tilt function is for. But if you want to be able to leave it in the "down" position, I think you should be able to go to bigger wheels. Probably 14" wheels and tires will give you the lift you need. Check with a wheel or tire shop and see what you can safely do.
:ditto: You don't want the fenders to bottom out when hitting bumps because the wheels are bigger then the fenders were made for.

My BIL moves his boat around with the garden tractor, low tongue hook up like the others have said.

I guess 444 beat to te punch while I was posting..

·
Registered
756 Posts
Is the axle mounted above the springs, or below? If it is above, you can remount it below the springs to gain needed room to mount 14" rims and tires. The original bolts should work. Any tire shop can tell you which rims will work on the 5 lug pattern you have; head to a U-pull it yard for some nice looking rims.

·
Retired MTF Founder & Administrator
15,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The logical answer to your problem is to tilt the engine up. That's what the tilt function is for.
yeah i guess instead of raising the trailer or tires that would be the easiest thing to do..

i had a johnson motor that had problems when it was not in the down position, it broke a bolt while trailering it one day... ever since i was sort of paranoid of not keeping the motor in the down position.. things are all hydraulic nowadays and im sure it would not be an issue... i guess ill have to charge up the batteries and raise it up..
:thanku:

·
Old Fart
3,225 Posts
........ i guess ill have to charge up the batteries and raise it up..

That would be the easiest thing to do John. With the money you save by not buying new tires, wheels, spring kits, etc., you can use the money to buy several bottles of Crown Royal.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
As nice as Crown Royal is, I'd rather put the money in hardware than **** it away and only have a hangover to show for it.

·
Old Fart
3,225 Posts
As nice as Crown Royal is, I'd rather put the money in hardware than **** it away and only have a hangover to show for it.
I have no experience with hangovers. You'd have to be a drunk to know about that which is evidently in your realm of experience. And I never **** my Crown Royal away. That comes under the heading "hold your liquor".

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
You don't have to be a drunk to ever have gotten drunk. A single bottle of Crown Royal would last me a lifetime since I haven't gotten drunk in decades.

As for ******* it away, whatever goes in one end eventually comes out the other. You can't "hold your liquor" forever.

·
Registered
838 Posts

·
Old Fart
3,225 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Even if you raised the frame on the axle you might hit a dip and still have it hit. I guess your trailer is sitting too low for your boat hull. Stornger springs might give a little more lift. I have changed spring to take care of clearance problems. I for got to take the tiller off my sail boat and traged it getting it out of the water. Now I have to repair the fiberglass tiller. I hate when that happens.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts