My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am swapping engines and did not mark where my battery ground cable was mounted to the block at. My tractor is a 1982 model JD 400 hydro and I bought the engine from home-boy and the ground cable was already loose. Can someone look at theirs and tell me or even better snap a pic and reply. I am wanting to get this engine going in the morning and just like a few things to completing the swap.

thanks.

Bill in Tn.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Here you go. Mine is an 1982 model as well IIRC.

The cable you see coming from the battery is the negative cable and it snakes underneath the black panel to the ground which is by the coil/condensor etc.

I hope this helps. -Lee

Attachments

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
It seems like it was bolted to the top of the block just under the air filter. I don't think it matters as long as you are connected to steel or cast iron.

Let's see her running!

You changing your avitar?

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks Lee! I figured it was somewhere on top as the cable didn't reach that far. Where does the small 12 gauge ground wire from the ground terminal mount? I think it goes to the side panel bolt. Its one of those things that when you are taking it apart you tell yourself " I can remember where that goes" dah, yea right in my old age.

Your coil is on the opposite side of mine also. I guess there were some slight changes over the years or previous owners may have changed them. I will get it started tomorrow and take some pics and post the differences.

Also I have seen mine and one other on top of the hydro radiator that the throttle/choke cables are rubbing a hole in the top of the cooler. I plan on epoxing a piece of steel on top of it or encasing the cables inside some 3/8" fuel line or something to prevent any more damage.

HB- I am planning to change the avatar in a few days when I get the beast back together and get the deck mounted. Thanks for the help.

I also need the pin for the 3pt top link that we forgot. It is about 2 1/2" long and 5/8" diameter with a key. I will PM you.

thanks,

Bill

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Epoxy seems pretty permanent. You could silicon a wear plate on and it'll stay put until you want it removed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts