My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about turning a front snow plow into a rear scraper blade. It has a bolt on thick steal 'cutting' blade on the bottom, about 2 inches by 1/2, but its rounded over.

I'm still pretty new to tractors and implements, so i'm not real clear if rear blade for scraping or cutting actually has a sharp *beveled* edge or not. Is just a squared off piece of heavy steel enough to scrape a dirt drive or should i go a head and but some sort of edge on the blade.

If so, should the bevel be on the top of the blade *toward the rear of the tractor when pulled from behind* or the bottom. ALso what angle of a bevel? If there a preferred angle of attack with the blade? I'm just clue less and need some info before i get froggy and jump on the thing with a torch and welder and mock it something that won't work.

I've been searching online for a close up of a new cutting edge with no luck :banghead3
So i figured the fine folks here might have some insite.

ttt
Jay

·
Registered
156 Posts
Most grader blades from the factory are basicly flat on the bottom other than some special purpose and serrated types. Most are reversible so when you wear out one edge, you flip it and have a new one. You could check and see if that's possible with your snowplow blade. In the case of graders, they usually had enough meat hanging down so that when we wore out an edge or a crown or V in them, we'd bolt or clamp on a straight edge and torch them off straight, to get a little more life out of them.
Hope this helps.
Smiley

·
Premium Member
2,203 Posts
The cutting edge is just there so you don't wear out the plow itself. It is self sharpening as it wears down so no need to do anything special to it. Ed

·
Registered
306 Posts
Hello jtthebigjay,
a few years back i made a 3pt hitch rear scraper blade out of a sears snow plow blade! It to had a beveled edge & flat edge i flipped blade over to use the sharp edge on the ground! Works good & u can adjust the amount of dig by adjusting ur third arm in/out
hope this helps!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts