My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Dan
3,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I try mig welder and DC arc welder. They don't work for me.

Well I been look at used welder generators on craiglist. I am confused after talk to my friend who used to work for CAT for welder.

He say I should get 180 amp for welder generator on what I use.

I would say I plan weld from door hinge to frame to BIG Loader. That is rare but mostly it for my truck's plow and trailers.

What good brand I should get ? I saw Airco with brigg 20 hp for $200 that is way steal deal. It BIG welder but problem is it not produce weld. How easy to fix that issues?

·
Banned
297 Posts
Well could be a big deal,depending on whats wrong with it.
Couple good brands are lincoln and miller,they are not all created equal,some little ones just produce ac,some produce ac/dc,some have higher duty cycles at different amps,some have mig/stick capabilities,some just stick,some are light enough to carry,others are light enough to roll,others you need a chain hoist to pick them up.
One real good thing about welder generators,they are also a generator,put out ac current for home use[most new ones that is,some older ones just put out dc],another good thing is you can weld with them anywhere you can move them to,another is you don't have to make sure your home wireing is up to powering a transformer welder.
But buying a used not working one is like buying a used not working anything else.

·
Dan
3,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
True but I know that one member success fixed Lincoln welder generator that wasn't lit arc it was so weak.

I think it Kbeitz. He did fix by use cord drill and rotation drill manual while hold trigger.

That why I thought about airco welder could be fixed by hook cord drill.

·
Banned
297 Posts
Well,we'll just have to wait and see if he can fix your airco with a drill,might try private message to him.

·
Dan
3,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would wait for people chime here to give suggested.

I talk to guysat welder shop which they buil permanent boat hoist in lake.

Guy say 160 amp would be plenty.

I see some Miller with Onan engine that have over 5K hours.

·
Collector of many tractors
15,274 Posts
True but I know that one member success fixed Lincoln welder generator that wasn't lit arc it was so weak.

I think it Kbeitz. He did fix by use cord drill and rotation drill manual while hold trigger.

That why I thought about airco welder could be fixed by hook cord drill.

No...That was not me.... I used a super magnet to reenergize the field.
If the welder sat for some length of time that might be all it needs...

·
life is good
1,048 Posts
I'd try to find a good used one.
Sometimes trying to fix things can end up costing more than new.
I prefer Lincoln myself, have welded with many other makes and Lincoln or Snap-On are the ones I've stayed with.
Good luck

·
Banned
297 Posts
Generally speaking more amps the better,but 1/8 rod is all you need to run,multipass I'm talking,you can weld unlimited thickness basicly,,1/8 runs about 120 amps more or less,so duty cycle at those amps is what your looking for,,miller makes a machine,one person can push it on dirt,puts out 130 amps at 60 percent duty cycle,thats all you need.

Course most bigger machines are 200 amps or more and have more amps at even better duty cycle,but are heavier to go along with it.

·
Dan
3,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Great info.

I think big one that mount on truck is good idea.

I been look at miller with onan. Man those seller think it worth gold for over 4,000 hours. They think it $1500.

Found mostly 180 or less amps.

I will try find 220 or 225 amp if they are cheap.

Kbeitz
Do you have one for sale
I don't mind drive to Pennsylvania from Detroit.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts