My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey gang, I have looked everywhere and can't find anything related to a rotary broom that will fit my tractor. I have a spare lawn sweeper, would it be possible to mount it to the front of my tractor attached to part of a scrap mule drive, then push it backwards with the wheels on the ground and create a similar effect? With the hopper removed of course.
My brushes rotate both directions depending on which way the ground wheels turn, I know this would not be able to be angled, but what do you guys think? I am thinking it could work and do a fair job without having to use a belt or hydraulics to turn the bristles. Any thoughts?
or... has anyone made their own from scratch and if so I would love to see a picture or video, I know I can always go back to the old faithful gas blower, but I would like to think this would make things easier in the long run.
I probably would have to fashion some kind of lift lever as well.
Yes, I know i will only be able to go in a straight line, and this would be only for my concrete driveway area.

·
Banned
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no, just grass, leaves and dust/dirt. I dont think it would hold up to snow, I plan on using a snowcaster and/or plow for snow.

·
Ingersoll Dealer
2,552 Posts
Berco makes a very nice rotary broom system. There is a mounting system for the 3000/4000 series Ingersolls which is very much like the snowcaster mount. Hydraulic lift and remote manual angling (could be adapted to hydraulic).

Converting that to "LH" 200/400 tractors would be similar to the snowcaster conversion of swapping belt twist and rotation.

Brian

·
Banned
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Brian, I hadn't found Berco yet, I just looked and found this link, it lists Case 200 & 400 series tractors. Have they introduced something new? What exactly do you mean about swapping belt rotation and twist from a snowcaster? You got me intrigued. Thanks again.
p.s. what does something like that cost? I didn't see any pricing, I guess I would have to find a dealer unless someone has one or has checked in to them before.

http://www.bercomac.com/produits_balaisRotatifs_pourTracteur_ang.php

·
Ingersoll Dealer
2,552 Posts
The Berco website is a bit mis-leading. The Case 200/400 application requires user fabrication ... the Ingersoll 3000/4000 application is also shown and that one is turn-key/plug and play. I have not conducted a conversion to the 200/400 engine rotation, but from the appearances of the hardware it would be similar to converting a Case snowcaster.

I presume you are familiar with the LH discharge (mower decks) and RH discharge designations for the tractors. This is due to the engine being turned around and hence crankshaft rotation swapped around 1989.

The drive mechanism for the broom is almost a copy of the Ingersoll "RH" SB series snowcasters. Hunt through the archives here and you'll find knowledge about how the belt rotation and twist differs between RH and LH tractors ... a minor but critical difference is the mirror image of the pulley system to achieve the right drive shaft rotation and still keep the belts durable and reliable.

Brian

·
Banned
1,500 Posts
A power-angle broom was available as an attachment for these tractors for many years during the sixties and seventies. One of the companies was Jenkins Equipment.

All I can say is good luck with your plan. To me, there's a huge difference between a powered sweeper such as the Jenkins unit and a self-powered sweeper meant for picking off leaves and grass clippings from a freshly mowed lawn.

·
Banned
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay, I'm all over it. Thanks for the info and the speedy reply. I was aware that the later Ingy's had right hand discharge decks, but I hadn't contemplated converting newer attachments to fit my 1981 model because it seems that plenty of front and mid-mount attachments are available out there to fit my model. The commonly used ones that is, casters, plows, and mower decks...
Guess I better get to reading and getting my mind around the theory needed to pull it off. Still, I wouldn't mind finding an economical (read:cheap) way of adapting what I have laying around here to do the job, but with one one those Berco sweepers, I could take on a whole lot more tasks and justify having it to the boss er..uh... wife.
Thanks again for the direction.
kungdrew

·
Ingersoll Dealer
2,552 Posts
Kungdrew, sorry I missed the rest of our prior question. We carry the Berco line and are available to import new units to the US.

The Berco units aren't cheap ... they are good, rugged, commercial quality equipment that will last a long time when cared for. The complete sweeper system, ready to quick attach to a 3000/4000 Ingersoll is $2317.

One nice feature of the Berco's is that the snowblower, broom, and blade all make use of some common major mounting parts. As such, change over is quick and the 2nd/3rd attachments are more economical.

Brian

·
Banned
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Brian, thanks for the update and pricing info, that certainly is an investment and if I decided to purchase one I would no doubt be doing some commercial work to help offset the cost, such as sweeping lots for the gas station and ancient strip mall up the street from me. Have to give that one some thought, especially since there is work to do after the purchase to be able to use the sweeper. Will bring it up to the boss and see if we can budget it in sometime in the future.
Thanks again for having the answer to my questions.
Kungdrew

1 - 10 of 10 Posts