My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, i am new to this forum. I have a bolens model H16 XT with a 16 horse briggs i/o engine model 402437 type 0139 01 (its a model 1659)..anyway, i need to adjust my valves as i have 75 lbs compression on one cylinder zero on the other...does anyone know what valve clearances should be on this motor??
ive looked everywhere and cant find anything......any help would be greatly appreciated, thanx

·
Senior MTF Poster
13,074 Posts
"briggs i/o engine model 402437 type 0139 01 (its a model 1659)..anyway, i need to adjust my valves as i have 75 lbs compression on one cylinder zero on the other.."

I doubt very much that valve adjustment is your problem. These old flathead engines seldom need valve adjustment unless someone has just done a "valve job" and messed it up. Valve or seat could be bad. I would come nearer suspecting that a valve seat has come out OR it has thrown a rod, both common. Have you checked to see if the piston in the zero compression cylinder is actually going up and down, blowing just a little air with the plug out?

Walt Conner

·
Senior MTF Poster
13,074 Posts
Possibly one of the valves is stuck open in the cylinder with no compression,I've had that happen on a few engines also.
OR as another long shot, the valve spring keepers might have come off but best bet is valve seat as these engines are prone to that.

Walt Conner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts