My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mother n law just gave a me a John Deere Stx38. It has been sitting a for a few years. So I plan on changing all the fluids and possibly the battery. I'm not sure of the year but this thing looks like NEW. I know it not but it's in excellent condition. Can anyone tell me anything about it? From the Number below any idea what year it is?
Thanks for any help, Matt

John Deere STX 38
moostxbo34187

:greendr:

·
Administrator
21,221 Posts
Nice mower, Matt. I have a gear drive STX38. I guess they were the entry level machine, but mine seems to be very well built. Is yours a hydro or gear? Guess there were 2 models, black deck and yellow deck. Difference, I don'tknow...

Mine has a fuel filter and fuel shut off added, which are good. Just pulled the front wheels off and greased the spindles last week.

Be careful when maneuvering the hood. That is the weakest point of the machine. Where the screws go into the fittings on the hood, easily broken out.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Brad for the information. It's a Hydro with a yellow deck. This on also has a fuel filter with a shut off.:trink39: . I changed the fluids and cut the grass with it this morning, Other then the Battery not holding a charge all seems well.

One more question this mower has the dual bag catchers on the back. If I want to mulch the grass with it do I take the catchers off and have to change the blades?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Yes I would think you would change to muclching blades, and remove the bagger, also I believe you would need to attach the mulching kit to close off the grass exit on the deck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts