My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Husky Powerwasher 2200 PSI, Model number HU80520. I emptied out the fuel and put fresh fuel in the tank, the oil looks good to me, I press the primer bulb three times and pull the cord, it starts up for a second and stalls. There's not much to this thing, but it does have a button on the top to stop the engine. I'm guessing that the button interupts the ground for the engine, since a wire comes from the engine, to the button and to a ground on the frame. My question is if the engine has a bad ground, would I see problems simular to this, would the engine start and stall after 1 or 2 seconds. I'm wondering if the button is defective, or am I grasping at straws here and the ground has nothing to do with my starting problem.

·
Branded for LIFE !!!
4,451 Posts
When it starts keep pushing the primer bulb..if it keeps running ..its probably fuel related...Worth a try..:trink40:

·
Castor Freak
2,167 Posts
It started and stalled because it only ran on the gas you primed into it, sounds like it needs a carb cleaning. If this has a bowl carb, you should turn off the fuel supply, drop the bowl and clean it out with carb spray. I usually use breadtie wires to clean out the little jet holes throughout the carb, Also check to see if the carb is even getting fuel by opening the fuel supply and seeing if gas comes out with the bowl off. Hope this helps:fing32:

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
My question is if the engine has a bad ground, would I see problems simular to this, would the engine start and stall after 1 or 2 seconds.
If the switch for the kill wire was defective and grounding to the frame "all the time" it would never spark.

·
Registered
543 Posts
It started and stalled because it only ran on the gas you primed into it, sounds like it needs a carb cleaning. If this has a bowl carb, you should turn off the fuel supply, drop the bowl and clean it out with carb spray. I usually use breadtie wires to clean out the little jet holes throughout the carb, Also check to see if the carb is even getting fuel by opening the fuel supply and seeing if gas comes out with the bowl off. Hope this helps:fing32:
I agree with this post. Last year my Father in law was going nuts trying to start his power washer at the start of the season. Machine was almost brand new... he was fuming because it wouldnt fire. I was able to get her to fire briefly by spraying starter fluid in the air intake ...but it quickly stalled as the starter fluid burned off. Now I knew it was fuel (starved) and not spark related. Even though i'd never messed with small engines, I located the fuel bowl (little round metal bowl about two inches in diameter), I clamped the fuel line and removed the bowl (just a couple of screws). I took some carb cleaner and cleaned it well. Then, within the fuel bowl is a small needle (i believe this is the fuel jet) ...it has a tiny little air passage to allow fuel to spray from the bowl into the engine. Using my mouth, I tried to blow through it but nothing would pass. It was plugged. I soaked the pin in carb cleaner and kept blowing until it opened up (gas tastes gross!!). I re-assembled and she fired right up on the first pull.

·
Castor Freak
2,167 Posts
"I agree with this post. Last year my Father in law was going nuts trying to start his power washer at the start of the season. Machine was almost brand new... he was fuming because it wouldnt fire. I was able to get her to fire briefly by spraying starter fluid in the air intake ...but it quickly stalled as the starter fluid burned off. Now I knew it was fuel (starved) and not spark related. Even though i'd never messed with small engines, I located the fuel bowl (little round metal bowl about two inches in diameter), I clamped the fuel line and removed the bowl (just a couple of screws). I took some carb cleaner and cleaned it well. Then, within the fuel bowl is a small needle (i believe this is the fuel jet) ...it has a tiny little air passage to allow fuel to spray from the bowl into the engine. Using my mouth, I tried to blow through it but nothing would pass. It was plugged. I soaked the pin in carb cleaner and kept blowing until it opened up (gas tastes gross!!). I re-assembled and she fired right up on the first pull."

Yup, you are describing how about 70% of the jobs at small engine shops go, just a simple carb cleaning is needed in most cases. If you have the money and don't like getting dirty, go send it to a shop, but if your like the people on this forum, do it yourself and save some money.:trink39:

·
Registered
192 Posts
Ok Its starts and dies in a few seconds ,like one post said its out of fuel. It used up what the primer gave it. U didn't say what brand engine but I'm guessing Husky/w Tecumseh. Go to your local Small engine part store. Tell em ya want a float kit for a Tecumseh or Briggs with ever it is. Don't forget to get a new float bowl gasket.
Take the 2 screws out of the manifold and unhook the governor rods and springs. Take a 1/2 x 1/4 drive socket and take off the bowl nut. Clean the bowl/float and main jet orfaces by spraying carb clean thur them. Remove the pin from the float.Carefully as not to disturb the float setting.
Take an air hose and nozzle and blow air thru the fuel inlet and dislodge the rubber seat. Install new rubber seat,grooved side down,press seat in with a small flat ended punch. Put new needle on the float and reassemble.
Wet the new bowl gasket and carb base with wd40 and install the new bowl gasket, reinstall the floatbowl, being careful not to over tighten.
Reassemble Carb throttle spring and linkage to the governor arm,Reinstall the two bolts that hold the carb to the block . Reconnect the fuel line, Fill tank with fresh fuel
The starting and stalling problem should be solved.
If not take 2 asprin and call me in the morning:trink39: Miller Time
:thThumbsU
Roger

·
Just passing through
8,419 Posts
+1
Especially related to the wires on the jet holes...:D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts