My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have spent hours online and running into brick walls. I need some help.

I'm trying to find a part for my 1985 Massey Ferguson 50HX. I need a right side ball joint. I call it a tie rod end, but MF calls it otherwise. I may even want both sides as well as the connecting rod. The OEM part # for just the ball joint is 3473045M91. The OEM # for both sides and the rod is 3473045M91.

The serial number to my tractor is Y0879.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I just wanted to update everyone on this issue. I could not find ball joints for this machine anywhere on Earth, new or used. I ran across a guy in California who knew the situation well, and actually had the part numbers committed to memory. I even had junkyards in England looking for them with no luck. But I did fix the machine. Here's what I did:

I took one old ball joint to Napa and had them get me upper ball joints from a Ford Explorer, part number 10379. The had the same shape for the threaded shaft. I then brought these new parts along with the old steering system to a machine shop. They drilled out the old ball joints, then pressed in the new parts, and welded them in to secure them. It steered like a new machine. However, the total cost was over a thousand bucks! I hope this helps anyone with the same issue.

·
2,853 Posts
You originally got involved with this 3 years ago...what did you do in the meantime?....were you just driving it around with the bad front end?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I drove it for about a year with a bad front end. The ball joints were held in with mechanic's wire. I only used it around my own property, so I didn't have to worry the same way a contractor would.

After about a year I ended up trading the 50HX in on a John Deere 4 series compact utility tractor. It's a much better machine for a homeowner. Occasionally I do miss the power and the reach of the rear bucket on the 50HX, but most of the time I don't look back.

Someone PM'd me about a brake reservoir for my old 50HX, and it make me remember that I never posted the solution to my ball joint problem. If I can help just one person with the same ball joint issue, it would be worth the time typing. My ball joint issue took a long, long time to finally correct.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts