My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone.... I need help with my 19 year old John Deere 318. When I turn on the PTO switch, the mower deck does not engage. I have adjusted the air gap at the 3 points on the clutch to .018" and still nothing happens. The light comes on the dash but that is about all that happens. Do I need to replace the clutch field coil or do I need to replace the entire clutch? Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

·
Citizen of Earth
15,295 Posts
Do you have a volt meter? Is current getting to the clutch when you throw the switch on? I recently had to repair a broken wire that prevented power from getting to my PTO clutch. Scratched my head for 1/2 an hour before I figured it out. In my case, the wire broke in the middle, not near either connection at the end and I had to really hunt for it. Rubbed thru from 30 years of vibration.

·
Shop = My Therapy
3,157 Posts
Do you have a volt meter? Is current getting to the clutch when you throw the switch on? I recently had to repair a broken wire that prevented power from getting to my PTO clutch. Scratched my head for 1/2 an hour before I figured it out. In my case, the wire broke in the middle, not near either connection at the end and I had to really hunt for it. Rubbed thru from 30 years of vibration.
That is step one.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks bontai Joe. I do have a volt meter and I will check it this evening when I get home from work.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know that is step one esnb74. I am an admirer of your work doing your restoration. After I learn some more, I plan on tackling a restoration of mine. However, I have a lot to learn before I get to that point.

·
John Deere 316 Onan
868 Posts
If every thing checks out electrical wise, you could have the same problem that I did. Mine would only turn on when the tractor was cold. After mowing and getting it up to temp if I turned the switch off it would not come back on till it cooled off. Turns out after nothing helped, I took the PTO off the motor and just looked it over real well and found that the rotor had grooves worn into it from the thin disk. With these grooves when setting it up with the feeler gage I had FAR more clearance then it was showing me. I lightly faced off the rotor to clean it up and it has worked perfect ever since.

If you find that your rotor has grooves worn into it and would like, I would turn yours too for a small fee.

Here is the thread I used when I had my problems. http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=132878

·
John Deere 316 Onan
868 Posts
I wouldn't call it my thread but I did use it to end up fixing my 316....lol

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks SWIGIN. I will follow your advice and see what I find. I printed a copy ot the Electrical clutch testing you referred to in the other thread you referenced. That is great information. Where are you located in PA.

Also, thanks PA318guy. Where are you located in PA. I am in MD, one mile from the PA line off of I-83.

I can't thamk you guys enough for taking the time to help me out. That's what amkes this a great site.

·
John Deere 316 Onan
868 Posts
I am in lancaster county, maybe 2 hours north from the border. I might be less then 2 hours from the border, it has been a long time since I went south.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Hey all,
Let me get this straight. I was reading in this thread from SWIGIN, http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=132878.
If I turn the key on,tractor not running,I should see the PTO light light up on the dash and hear the PTO energize?
I have a '86ish 316 that I completely redid. I am in the process of getting it all back together. I hooked up the battery and was making sure everything was OK.
When I turn the key on and flip the PTO switch,I don't get a light,but I hear a faint click which sounds like it's coming from the module.
The PTO did work before I dismantled everything. Any info would be appreciated.Thanks.

Greg

·
John Deere 316 Onan
868 Posts
I just went out and turned my key to on on my 316 and yes the PTO light comes on and I hear a fairly loud clunk from the PTO engaging. It's really more like 2 quick clunks from the PTO. I'm not sure why you only hear one faint sound but maybe you are only getting one stage of the clutch to engage.

It's hard for me to explain but the PTO has two clamping presures when you turn it on. The first stage then full pressure to kinda ease the blades up to speed.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Hmmm, well I guess I need to do some troubleshooting tomorrow. I painted everything. I did paint the engine,even the underside of the oil base. I wonder if maybe it's not grounding properly? I think I'll add a braided ground strap from one of the front engine mounting bolts to the frame.

Greg

1 - 14 of 14 Posts