My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how to remove the short driveshaft from the u-joint.

Is the driveshaft held onto the u-joint by anything or does it just slip in?

Any help is always appreciated.

Thanks

Mike

·
Registered
829 Posts
They are not removeable.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
DDogg

Thanks for the diagram. The driveshaft I'm talking about is the short peice that attaches to the engine flywheel at the far right of your diagram. Is that not meant to come apart from the u-joint.

Thanks

Mike

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
Mike, it looks like it should slide off. I don't see any pin. Could be a pressed fit, but I've never worked. On one.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mine definitely won't slide off. There is alot of rust and corrosion on it. I don't want to hit it too hard and damage something else.

Thanks

Mike

·
Super Moderator
35,770 Posts
Mike,
Picture on JD site shows it to have a half moon key in it so I'm pretty sure it is just soundly rusted on the PTO shaft. I would spray some PB Blaster in it, then let is set for a day or two. Then apply some heat to the outside and see it it will break loose. And the part shows on the JD parts site at a cost of $340.00, so yes you don't want to break it. If you do though, PM me! I have a machinist that lives down the street that made me a spacer that looks similar!

Attachments

·
Registered
260 Posts
The drive shaft is roll pinned at the transmission and press fit at the engine with a key. The u joints are not removable. You can remove the drive shaft from the engine by unbolting it from the flywheel. Then you can then use the PB Blaster, heat, and a BFH like I did. Be patient though you don't want to break anything. Adam

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
35,770 Posts
Adamjd, much better than the exploded diagram! That should help him considerably!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts