My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have farmall 140 that i got this week. I got it to run but it has a bad miss. i check plug wire for corrosion and all was clean. the plugs look new. pull the valve cover to check for bent push rods they was all good as well. so what else should i check. IT had set for about two years and did not smoke when i had it running.

·
Premium Member
2,591 Posts
Pop the distributor cap, and check the lugs for carbon buildup. You can scrape them off with your knife, if that is the case. Also check the rotor button for a carbon deposit. I've been doing this on my Super C for 20 some years.

If that doesn't do the trick, points may be burned. File to clean up, & reset.

If not there, pull one plug wire at a time while running, using something like an insulated handle pair of pliers, and determine which cylinder is missing. Check the ends of the wires to make sure they are securely connected. Solid copper wires are the best, if it does not have them..

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I put a spark tester on all four wires and am getting a weak spark. it the points or condenser and could it be the coil. I did try to clean points with emery cloth.
I double check the plug wires to.

·
Premium Member
2,591 Posts
Did you check the lugs on the inside of the distributor cap..?? Could very well be carbon build up there, if you didn't.

Make sure wire connections from coil to distributor are bright and clean also. If it's sat for a couple of years, could be some rust, or corrosion there.

If this doesn't correct the problem, and you decide to get new points and condenser, don't scrimp on them. Either OEM, or Echlin's from NAPA. I've heard some bad feedback from the less expensive aftermarket tune-up kits...

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes i did check cap for corrosion they were clean. I swap the wire going to cap from coil off another tractor and not hen change. I hope it just points and condenser. It has newer set of wires on it long with cap button.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts