My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a LTX 1045 its brand new i took the deck off to put one mulching blades and a plug. Well i got it all back together and i have an extra spring. The belt is loose when the deck isn't engaged but when its engaged the belt is tight. So i think this spring must pull on a pully somewhere. There are two springs the one that is on the pto cable that is there and in place but i have a free spring that's about ten inches long. Thanks for any help

·
Registered
748 Posts
I have an LT1050 and there is a spring on the deck that hooks to the idler tension pulley and a bracket on the top of the deck. This keeps tension on the belt all the time.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Brian, I thought I had answered that awhile ago. It seems that if you don't sign in your post goes off into the bit bucket. Sorry.......
Because I have the 1045, let me say that I am looking at the parts breakdown for the deck as we speak. There are 2 springs on that deck one is the engagement spring that you already know about. The other is a compression spring that I think operates the break when you release the PTO. From looking at the breakdown of the tractor, my guess at the moment is there is a spring up in the middle that connects to the tractor brake I will in a moment go out into the garage to have a look see........

·
Registered
339 Posts
OK, Brian, there are 2 springs on the deck. Looking at mine there is a spring that is attached right behind the PTO spring I believe it operates the brake for the deck when you turn off the PTO. What may happen with out having the spring is that the brakes will operate at the wrong time or not at all. The second spring is parallel with the deck running side to side. Looks like from the left side that it connects to the tower where you took off the PTO connector for the cable, the other end looks like it may be in a crook bend of the brake rod. I have to say that yes with the manual PTO the belt is loose when not engaged. looks to me that if you hit a bump to hard driving across the yard the belt would fall off. I guess that is the reason for the bar near the drive pulley, to keep the belt from falling off.......... Let me know if you get her fixed......

·
Registered
65 Posts
Man I am glad I have a shaft drive (GT3235) - sounds like the belts are a PITA. Hope you get it running. Cubs are good solid machines....

·
Registered
98 Posts
New CCs are cr#p I own one had it for 4 tears and never got my grass cut yet ,belt has come off since it was new ,and replaced 4 times.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I have to say Donnie, just because you got a lemon out of 100,000+ machines does not mean that they are all crap. I have an 09, and for my money it is the best on the market today. My Brother, and Son have JD's and hate them, my Brother has always had problems with the drive belt stretching so he can't back up. I have no idea what model he has as he lives a 1000 miles away. I have to say that if you have the 3 blade deck, they have for a lot of people been a problem with some types of grass, for others it works fine. My 1045, as the 2 blade deck, which means that it is not timed, has only 1 belt, and works fine. My son has a Home Depot JD, 3 blade 48" cut, and he can not make a full pass around his yard without plugging up the chute. I took my 46" cut over the other day, and with wet grass, and water sitting on the ground, I mowed his lawn without stopping once except to empty the bags. I had water running out of the bags where the blades had picked it up, and sent it up the chute. So don't tell me that all CC's are crap.........

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Could someone please put a picture of the deck up i'm just not following where this spring needs to be.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok i got the spring back in place. I mowed today and i'm not sure if i like the mulching deal. My mower seems to be making some noises it wasn't making before i but these new blades on. I mowed in some tall wet grass today and woudn't advise anyone to use a mulching set up for that, I think if i would have had the shoot on it would have been alot easier. But after hearing some of these funny noises i'm not sure what to do. I put the blades on and we tightened them up just my hand they are on tight so i don't think thats it. Maybe i'm just not use to hearing all the grass getting mulched in the deck i don't know. I'm now having second thoughts thinking i should take this one back and go with the John Deere. But i did my research before i bought this and i just need talked off the ledge....i think

·
Registered
339 Posts
Brian, One item of caution for you to think about. You SHOULD NOT mulch more than about 1" at one time. The noise you are more than likely hearing is the grass trying to get away from the blades, and not being able to. It will then stick to the deck until it gets packed thick enough to start falling down on the moving blades the it makes all kinds of noises, and probably shakes a bunch at the same time. Again mulching on wet grass is a no-no also for the same reason it sticks to the deck ect. ect........ I would take the mulcher off, leave the blades on, then mow a couple of time. Then try the mulching again, at 1/2 to 1" of "DRY" grass max. The advertisements for mulching is over rated, and a lot of times don't work the way the advertisements say they will........ I straight mow in the front, cutting more ofter so that I am cutting 1 to 1.25" at any given time. I bag in the back because I have 2 small dogs, and if I don't bag the back I would have grass clippings all over the house...... Been there done that........ One item of note with your new mower is the width of the discharge chute, and that is because it is so wide the grass doesn't pile up like on any other mower I have seen it goes out in a wide dispersion not leaving windrows like my other sears rider did........
I have to say that I don't care what mower brand you buy. If you are trying to mulch on tall wet grass it "AIN'T" going to do it................

1 - 10 of 10 Posts