My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to this site, I have owned many wheelhorse tractors and a case 222, I recently purchased a case 448 hydro that has been re-powered with a kawasaki 19 hp twin cylinder.It has the 60" deck rear 3 point and remote hydro. Very nice machine. Lots of power, But I have been having problems with the PTO engagement clutch for the mowing deck. So I took it apart and relized it was worn. I bought the new friction disc for 30 bucks fired up my oven to 400 degrees and made the clamp fixture and the clutch is new now. That was last week. I still am having problems with the clutch engageng and disengageng. I will tighten the adjusting nut for the clutch and it wont disengage, then I will loosen it and it wont go thru grass 4 " high. If anyone has any expierence with these Please let me know, I would greatly appreciate it. I cant afford to take it to the shop down the street they want 75 bucks an hour and I have a baby on the way. Thank you very much and have a great day. Ben.

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
As smitty said, you posted in the wrong forum. This one is for the big tractors, not the GT's. However, putting a new disc on is a far cry from making your clutch "NEW". At the very least, you should be carefully removing the covers on each side of the three bearings, washing them out and repacking them with chassis grease before putting the seals back in place.

You can extend the life of the bearings this way. The alternative is to replace all three right now with new ones because you don't want one of them to seize on you.

The other issue is the main shaft that everything rides on. If it is badly worn and grooved, then you will never get a satisfactory clutch adjustment.

I'm going to ask Paul to move this thread to the proper forum so you don't have to post again. At the top of the Case, Ingersoll, Colt forum is a "sticky" that has the clutch manual. Don't rush this job. Take your time. Read the manual a few times. Make 100 percent sure that you have every single item in the correct spot or you're screwed. You will never get it adjusted.

A new clutch is five hundred bux. What you have is rebuildable but there's a learning curve to master.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts