My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Resident John Deere Tech
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i have too many chainsaws....i need to thin the herd a bit, but curious what you guys think are the better ones to keep.... in the small saw category i have a Stihl MS170, an old safetyless poulan 1800 top handle, a poulan 25something thats new enough to have a chain brake. All run great, and all seem about the same power wise. Ms170 is a touch hard to start due to its former life of abuse

In the midsize(50ccish) category i have a homelite super xl, a stihl ms280 with muffler mod, and a Deere/Efco CS56...

My personal thoughts are keep the 1800 top handle because i like how it feels and its in better shape than my ms170 (ms 170 is a retired orchard pruning saw) and it is nice and compact, and the ms280 because of parts availability.

If i need more power i am keeping my old stihl 056 magnum as well(94cc saw with a 36"bar)

What are your guys thoughts on them?

·
Resident John Deere Tech
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh yeah i have an old Mac 1-10 McCullough that fits the midsize category as well, but that thing is.... erm.... not my cup of tea exactly...LOL

·
Registered
719 Posts
I liked to old Sears/Poulan top handle saws used them for alot of years until I couldn't find used ones anymore. They are light and powerful enough to use with one hand for trimming and don't wear you out.

Just my opinion if any of the Stihls don't have the screw in fuel and oil caps and are the newer style i'd do away with them.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I would put the Homelite XL out by the road. Where do you live?

·
Resident John Deere Tech
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would put the Homelite XL out by the road. Where do you live?
I am in upstate NY, near Rochester. The super xl does seem to leak fuel out of the tank when it sits, another strike against it... LOL

Reactions: MoJoMowerman

·
Registered
452 Posts
That is your best saw. In my opinion. We use to be in your area when the salmon would run. Do they still snag in the middle of the city?

·
Resident John Deere Tech
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That is your best saw. In my opinion. We use to be in your area when the salmon would run. Do they still snag in the middle of the city?
Couldnt tell you on the salmon... as for the xl, its....rough.... if you saw the piston skirt you would be seriously wondering how it runs at all....it was given to me several years ago, and i have only run it a handful of times... its not as strong a runner as the ms280 or the cs56, or even the Mac 1-10...LOL it has had a rough life for sure...

·
Parts collector
4,278 Posts
What! :eek: too many? it's just like tractors there is nothing like too many. You just prep the ones that won't be used for awhile. ;)

·
Resident John Deere Tech
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What! :eek: too many? it's just like tractors there is nothing like too many. You just prep the ones that won't be used for awhile. ;)
Yes, too many, the wife and i are downsizing this year, and potentially becoming full time rv'ers, so anything that stays may have to be put in paid storage... the less we have to pay to store, the better... and if i can sell them off, thats money in my pocket.... i need to go thru the weed wackers and brush cutters the same way...LOL theres about as many of those as the chain saws...

Reactions: mopar65pa

·
Super Moderator
37,139 Posts
Yes, too many, the wife and i are downsizing this year, and potentially becoming full time rv'ers, so anything that stays may have to be put in paid storage... the less we have to pay to store, the better... and if i can sell them off, thats money in my pocket.... i need to go thru the weed wackers and brush cutters the same way...LOL theres about as many of those as the chain saws...
Well sounds like you may be retiring...congrats! My BIL tried to do the RV'ing lifestyle but medical issues caused them to give it up after about a year. Good luck if you decide to do it!

·
Resident John Deere Tech
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well sounds like you may be retiring...congrats! My BIL tried to do the RV'ing lifestyle but medical issues caused them to give it up after about a year. Good luck if you decide to do it!
I suppose you could say that, but not really... mostly looking to get out and see the country while my wife and i can... we are only 32... its just the 2 of us and our 2 doggos, and we can pick up work where ever we need on a part time basis or full time if needed.

In a way i think retirement from the normal way of life is a fitting term for it... why be tied down by a mortgage payment that you have to work to death just to keep paying every month... sell most of everything, pay off the debt and live free... LOL

·
Parts collector
4,278 Posts
I suppose you could say that, but not really... mostly looking to get out and see the country while my wife and i can... we are only 32... its just the 2 of us and our 2 doggos, and we can pick up work where ever we need on a part time basis or full time if needed.

In a way i think retirement from the normal way of life is a fitting term for it... why be tied down by a mortgage payment that you have to work to death just to keep paying every month... sell most of everything, pay off the debt and live free... LOL
My new FIL and his wife have been doing just that for the last 15-20 years. They have a "pattern" they follow according to the season for odd jobs and campgrounds.

·
Super Moderator
37,139 Posts

A lot of folks who work in the National Parks do the RV living thing and just have jobs at different parks throughout the year.

·
Resident John Deere Tech
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
keep both the stihls
I hate to say it, but i dont see myself keeping the ms170.... i dont paerr ticularly care for its feel, and it seems underpowered vs even the little poulan 1800...that may be due to the fact that the 170 is a piston port engine and the poulan is reed ported? Not sure... i have always felt that the 170 has felt.... cheap.... its ALL plastic, vs the 1800 is die cast magnesium....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts