My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

We own a camp ground and i need help selecting a tow grader. The tractor is a Kubota M7040DTHSC1(71 hp).

We need something to grade our camping roads, mostly the exit road that are pretty steep.

We are being offered 3 models. The red one would be supplied with small teeth blade like the blue one. And on the red i can get steer cylinder for the grade wheels for some extra $.

So never having used tow graders what you expert suggest? Road are tight around a camp ground.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I'm guessing like most campgrounds I've visited your roads are fine/crushed limestone?

First off a note on wheels vs. wheel-less for grading purposes:
A wheel-less unit will tend to want to exaggerate the bumps the back wheels of the tractor go over. When the back of the tractor goes up over a bump you have to take care that the grader does not lift with it, creating yet another hump!
A wheeled unit will also create a hump to a small degree, but since its frame averages out its wheel movement & the tractors, its movement will be damped.

Having rear wheel steering would be nice as it would allow you to offset the grader to even up the edges of the road without having to drive the tractor so close to the edge. If the unit is wider than the tractor to start with I don't know that it's really that necessary. Having said that, another benefit of rear steering is keeping it to the outsides of the turns, rather than it tracking to the inside of the turn as a normal trailer would.

As for big rippers vs. small teeth:
The big rippers would be great for smoothing up really rough areas quickly, but I'd want the smaller teeth for normal maintenance. The big teeth may dig too deep/loosen the base too much for regular use, that is where the smaller teeth would be best.

If it were me and the price wasn't outrageous I'd get the Lepine unit with both rippers and small teeth so I could swap them out depending on the job. Rear steering would just depend on whether I had any cash to spare on it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the feed back.

They all are around 6700 to 7700$ That is CDN $. And Lepine offer rear steering for a extra 1,200$, with tight road around a camp ground i think it is worth it.

I'm guessing like most campgrounds I've visited your roads are fine/crushed limestone?

First off a note on wheels vs. wheel-less for grading purposes:
A wheel-less unit will tend to want to exaggerate the bumps the back wheels of the tractor go over. When the back of the tractor goes up over a bump you have to take care that the grader does not lift with it, creating yet another hump!
A wheeled unit will also create a hump to a small degree, but since its frame averages out its wheel movement & the tractors, its movement will be damped.

Having rear wheel steering would be nice as it would allow you to offset the grader to even up the edges of the road without having to drive the tractor so close to the edge. If the unit is wider than the tractor to start with I don't know that it's really that necessary. Having said that, another benefit of rear steering is keeping it to the outsides of the turns, rather than it tracking to the inside of the turn as a normal trailer would.

As for big rippers vs. small teeth:
The big rippers would be great for smoothing up really rough areas quickly, but I'd want the smaller teeth for normal maintenance. The big teeth may dig too deep/loosen the base too much for regular use, that is where the smaller teeth would be best.

If it were me and the price wasn't outrageous I'd get the Lepine unit with both rippers and small teeth so I could swap them out depending on the job. Rear steering would just depend on whether I had any cash to spare on it.

·
Premium Member
1,559 Posts
http://www.roadboss.org
have you looked at these they use one in Regina on the pull track does a nice job of ruts and holes the tractors leave, the mound that builds up in front of the pull sled pad doesn't seem to be a problem either

1 - 4 of 4 Posts