My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok heres the deal.I own 11 acres. I have 3 acres of grass to cut, 300ft gravel drive with a 60'x120' area by the house and shop to keep the snow cleaned and gravel maintained, heat with wood so I need to lift, skid logs form the woods, and I also have some light landscaping and dirt moving projects to do around the homestead. I currently have too many pieces of equipment. Ford 9n tractor,John deere 318 mower,Bobcat M600 skidsteer,18hp wood chipper, and an old Ford 4x4 snowplow truck. I'm finding it a pain to keep everything in running order (good batterys, current oil changes, fuel of fuel, etc). So the plan is to replace all that with one newer CUT. I have a real good idea that a John Deere 755,855,955 4x4 with a frontend loader and belly mower would be a good tractor. My problem is I know of no one local with one to see what these tractors can do. I think the 755 might be a little small and I believe a 955 might be on the big side. I missed a 955 with a front end loader a week ago for $6500.00. I want to spend under $10,000.00, so a new one is out of the question. Also does anyone know of other mmkes of tractors that are comparable to the 755,855,955 series that are good reliable tractors. I would like to make this the last tractor I buy.
Any postive feedback or solutions will be appreciated
Vince

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts
the john deere 2305 seems to be the CUT of choice at the moment. whats wrong with the 9n?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nothing wrong with the 9n other then being 71 years old. This is the first piece of equipment I bought and plowed snow and mowed with it for 3 years. It worked, but it was slow and cold for plowing snow and lacked traction at times. It mowed alright, but was hard to get close to things and the speed seemed either too fast or to slow, plus the rear mount finish mower didn't leave a very good finish. There was strips of grass that didn't get cut form the tires flatening it down. All In all it worked but was a very crude way of doing it.

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
The 955 is a great tractor. Not the biggest or the baddest but it gets the job done. Around here when one does come up for sale they go any where from $5000 to 14,000. The 55 series Deeres are very reliable and parts are some what easy to find depending on what you need.

·
Just passing through
8,422 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts