My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is going from bad to worse! After having to cut the rubber away on the wheel to get a grip on the metal hub, I proceed to pull the wheel apart with a gear puller. The heavy sleeve left on the shaft would not come off with the gear puller even with heat from a torch. I then thought about removing the gear on the bottom of the steering column and pulling the shaft out to take it somewhere to get it cut off. Not a good idea. The cotter pin was a bear, and the gear is on very tight. I have only budged it about far enough so now the pin hole does line up, but I'm stuck. Any ideas??

Attachments

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
:ditto:

use a rotary tool with a good cut off wheel, or a small air powered angle grinder, or get your electric angle grinder, be carefull not to cut to deep :trink39:

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. Something like a dremel with a small cut off blade correct? I'll probably have to put something around the shaft and up against the gear and try to drive the column back down onto the gear where it belongs first.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
if you have a dremel you may want to use the cut off wheels with the "reinforcing" strings in it, the look like a really small version of the ones found on angle grinders

1 - 5 of 5 Posts