My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Love your site!!! I have been doing lots of research over the past few weeks as I am in the market for a tractor. I have been mowing 1+ acre with a 21" self propelled Toro for the last year. Also, have been plowing snow in the winter with an old Craftsman GT6000, which I need to return to my buddy. Since I am no longer interested in 4 hour mowing excurisions with the 21", and have to return the GT6000, I am finally in the market for a new tractor.

Looking to spend between $1500-$2000, and would like a new one as my time to tinker with a fix-er-upper is limited due to the arrival of a new baby. I have seen some really nice reviews of the YT4000 (24hp/46" deck), and the price seems right. Can anyone please comment on this tractor, and its ability to both mow and plow. My lawn is 1/2 acre flat and the other 1/2 acre gentle sloping. Also, my driveway is on the same gentle slope. The GT6000 handled the plowing with ease, and I know the YT4000 is smaller/lighter...hence my concern. I would hate to buy something now only to learn in November that she can't handle the snow.

If you could also throw out some other suggestions that would fit my needs it would be greatly appreciated.

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

There are plenty of durn yankees on board, so I would imagine one or two should be able to give you a snow report.

Feel free to search for posts on the yt4000 and snow and you may find some historical posts answering your concerns exactly.

And congratulations on the new baby!

·
Retired Aug.31 2007
7,473 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Glad you joined us. I know it would do O.K. mowing but pushing a blade I can't comment on. We just don't have that kind of weather here.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I have a DYS 4500 24HP 46" cut and I am guessing it is nearly the same as this year's YT4000.

I have a bumpy but level acre and it is breeze cutting...I wanted the cast iron axles due to the bumps.

Regarding the plowing...my driveway is level but I did post my experiences plowing with it here.

I have about 50 hours on it now and am happy with it. I noticed last year's Professional 42" cut with pedal drive is now at a clearance price. It is still about $500 more than what I paid for mine and if they had that price then, I would have probably of bought the Pro...mainly because it has the heavier deck. However, last year, it never seemed to go on sale when I needed the tractor and for the price difference I was able to buy a plow, sweeper, dethatcher, and aerator.

·
Registered
213 Posts
As I recall the 4000 has an angle iron/L channel type frame and the 4500 has a c channel frame. I'd go for the 4500. Having recently bought a new Craftsman tractor myself I would suggest looking for a Sears Outlet store in your area. Mine had some smoking deals on a variety of lawn and garden tractors. I'm pretty sure I saw a 4500 for under $1,500.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice guys!

Bullshark - how much difference will there be between the L channel frame and the C channel frame? My guess would be the C channel would stand up better to plowing, with little impact on mowing. However, I am not exactly plowing a parking lot..if ya know what I mean. Just trying to gauge if there is a need to go to the 4500 given my driveway isnt that big, and I plow snow downhill?

Also, anyone have experience buying from Sears Outlets? I have my concerns about buying used. I know they warranty, but I am nervous.

Thx

·
Registered
213 Posts
I haven't owned my DGS6500 long enough to have really given it a good flogging yet so I can only comment on the relative merits of the frame construction on the basis of the structural steel forms themselves. With that said, a c channel has a considerable advantage over a simple angle iron because it has an additional stiffener to resist warpage and bending. Steel itself is immensely strong so it isn't that you need to worry about the steel being torn apart just that you don't want it to be deformed out of shape.

There's different ways to look at strength. Towing requires tensile strength even more than rigidity. For example you can tow with a chain that has high tensile strength but almost no rigidity. Then if you tried to attach a mower deck to that chain it would have plenty of tensile strength to bear the weight but with no rigidity it would sag. If you look at plowing snow you're going to have to have a frame that will be fairly stiff because it will have to resist compression and deflection under load. Again a high tensile strength chain would be no good in such an application even though it would be strong enough to handle the actual forces involved. The chain has no ability to resist compression or deflection. A c channel will offer more rigidity than an L channel so it will be better suited to a greater range of stress types.

While an L channel frame will be stiff enough to carry a moderate weight over a relatively smooth surface the c channel frame will have a clear advantage. If your mowing area is relatively flat and smooth and if your snow plowing is very modest you could probably get the L channel frame and never know the difference but I didn't see a big difference in prices and personally I'd opt for the more durable machine. Even if I didn't need the durability now I know I'd probably want it later when I find myself using my tractor for something I hadn't originally thought of. Plowing may put unexpected lateral forces on your frame. YMMV.

The Sears Outlet near me has new and used equipment. The new stuff is generally last year's model and it's hit or miss if they have it at all. As I recall Sears' policy on used equipment is they'll accept a return only if the product proves to be unrepairable. That's the down side. The up side is that they will try to repair it and Sears techs are kind of famous for declaring things to be broken beyond repair. Personally I'd sleep a little better buying a used product from a big company that offers product support than buying used from a private individual that takes your cash and says have a nice life. Then there's the Sears extended warranty option. I'm leaning towards thinking it's probably a good deal if you know you are going to be running your equipment hard and not so good of a deal if your equipment will only see light duty.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
:MTF_wel2: Ellio1313!

I would seriously consider spending a bit more for the GT series tractors at Sears, especially if you plan on plowing snow with it. It has a beefier frame and more importantly a heavy duty transmission plus larger wheels and an overall better build quality. I had an '06 YS4500 for several years and it was a great tractor for lawn cutting and light duty yard chores but IMO, plowing snow or dirt would have been beyond its engineered limits.

You'll never miss the few extra $$$ you spend now and you won't have to worry about buyer's remorse down the road. I speak from experience - BTDT!

:goodl: and let us know how you make out!

·
Premium Member
10,046 Posts
I have last year's Craftsman Pro 24hp. It has a welded frame, don't know if it's C channel or L channel, but is stiffer than the DYS4500 it replaced (bolted frame). It is a fine mower and an excellent combo with my Berco snow blower. I don't know if I would plow with it. As mentioned above, the heavier GT transmission is advisable. At the Outlet you may be able to get a left over GT for under $2000 with the k66 transmission (that's the one you want).

Oh yes, welcome! What part of Mass are you in? If it's North and/or West forget the plow and think blower.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Have you looked at like the Husqvarna YTH2348 at either Lowes or a dealer?

·
Registered
166 Posts
I have a DYS 4500 24HP 46" cut and I am guessing it is nearly the same as this year's YT4000.

I have a bumpy but level acre and it is breeze cutting...I wanted the cast iron axles due to the bumps.

Regarding the plowing...my driveway is level but I did post my experiences plowing with it here.

I have about 50 hours on it now and am happy with it. I noticed last year's Professional 42" cut with pedal drive is now at a clearance price. It is still about $500 more than what I paid for mine and if they had that price then, I would have probably of bought the Pro...mainly because it has the heavier deck. However, last year, it never seemed to go on sale when I needed the tractor and for the price difference I was able to buy a plow, sweeper, dethatcher, and aerator.

Was this gear driven or with a hydro?

·
Registered
304 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
I would seriously consider spending a bit more for the GT series tractors at Sears, especially if you plan on plowing snow with it. It has a beefier frame and more importantly a heavy duty transmission plus larger wheels and an overall better build quality.
He's right, spending more for a GT series is better in the long run. The YT series just can't hold up to plowing even though they do fine mowing. The little extra cash will pay you back in the future.

Keep us informed:)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Welcome to the board. Lots of good folks in the know here.

I've got a YTS 3000 that has so far done a great job mowing my less than an acre yard with several obstacles. But those of you dealing with hard northern winters and all the snow, you might want to look for as much power as you can get, you'll probably need it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts