My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
craftsman 6 spd lawn tractor wont turn to the left also leaves a strip down the middle and have to remow that strip blades just sharpened thanks for any help oh steering assembly just replaced last year teeth look good

·
Registered
368 Posts
I think what you will find is the Support Shaft ( as it's called on the parts page ) is cracked and flexing enough to let the gears "jump" When I towed home ole freebie I found the same thing.. The teeth on mine however were wore enough to allow only left turns,, I welded a bracket on mine to support the steering shaft, Left the worn gear on as my lot if a large square and I make left turn only anyway,, It gives the mower a personality this was,, Now she's called ole lefty..

dale

·
Registered
617 Posts
craftsman 6 spd lawn tractor . . . leaves a strip down the middle and have to remow that strip
It sounds like you have two separate problems.

If you have three mower blades and the strip that's unmowed is about 1/3 the total width spanned by all three blades, it sounds like the middle blade isn't mowing. Check that the blade is there (sounds funny, since you probably put it on if you handled sharpening, but it's possible it was loose and fell off). If it is there, make sure it's fastened solidly to the mandrel so that, if the mandrel spins, so does the blade. If it's not there, I guess you know what to do! :sidelaugh:sidelaugh

Then check for a properly spinning mandrel by removing the main mower drive belt, rotating the drive pulley, and making sure all blades rotate freely, smoothly, and without wobble. If all blades are firmly on their mandrels, but one doesn't rotate with the above test, you might have a belt issue.

My deck has one belt that drives the deck from the engine and a second belt (hidden under a cover) that connects all three mandrels and an idler. On my machine, the center blade mandrel is directly driven from the engine, but yours might not be that way and the center blade might not be getting driven.

By the way, if you include your model number in your posts, it will be easier for folks to help you. You can add model numbers to your signature in your profile and then it's automatic!

Good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts