My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently have a sick Husqvarna LTH2448 2006 era
Not going up hills, and several other minor problems, has 300 hours.
I know about the transaxle problem, but would rather buy a new something and see if this can be fixed after I know I have a way to mow the lawn.

Specifics:

1 Acre lawn, somewhat hilly. One section is 50 feet long and 8 feet high with a 40 degree grade. Another section is 100 feet wide 200 feet long and increases 30 feet in height along the 100foot length.

I also use a BercoMac snowblower, 44" #700374 manual lift. I do a effective 150 foot long 20 foot wide driveway. I also live at an old ski area so we get good snow and alot of wind so I need to do the driveway at least twice per storm.

I am not locked into any one brand, gas or diesel, doesn't matter. I want something that will last and run well.

I have a Husqvarna GTH27V52LS on my potential list, but have heard problems with hills and don't want to get a new husky just to have the same problem I have now in a couple years.

I also was looking at the Kubota BX25 (I know a BIG step up from the Husky) and a Cub Cadet SC2450.

The last two I figured if I was upgrading, the backhoe option would be nice as I have acouple projects that it would be nice for.

I also need to do this sooner than later as winter is coming and I don't want to have to shovel the driveway.

Thank you for any and all input.

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
Currently have a sick Husqvarna LTH2448 2006 era
Not going up hills, and several other minor problems, has 300 hours.
I know about the transaxle problem, but would rather buy a new something and see if this can be fixed after I know I have a way to mow the lawn.

Specifics:

1 Acre lawn, somewhat hilly. One section is 50 feet long and 8 feet high with a 40 degree grade. Another section is 100 feet wide 200 feet long and increases 30 feet in height along the 100foot length.

I also use a BercoMac snowblower, 44" #700374 manual lift. I do a effective 150 foot long 20 foot wide driveway. I also live at an old ski area so we get good snow and alot of wind so I need to do the driveway at least twice per storm.

I am not locked into any one brand, gas or diesel, doesn't matter. I want something that will last and run well.

I have a Husqvarna GTH27V52LS on my potential list, but have heard problems with hills and don't want to get a new husky just to have the same problem I have now in a couple years.

I also was looking at the Kubota BX25 (I know a BIG step up from the Husky) and a Cub Cadet SC2450.

The last two I figured if I was upgrading, the backhoe option would be nice as I have acouple projects that it would be nice for.

I also need to do this sooner than later as winter is coming and I don't want to have to shovel the driveway.

Thank you for any and all input.
If I knew your age it would help.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm 42 years old and need this thing to last as long as possible.

I guess I should add I pull a 15cuft trailer with it, also use it to spread fertilizer (big version ?200lb? capacity) and have a sweeper and dethatcher.

It looks like the Husky is <40" wide at the rear tires (per a local shop) and all I would have to do is possibly by some new mounts for the Berco. Seems to be the 'cheapest' option.

But I do know the 'cheapest' option sometimes costs you the most money.

As far as the backhoe & front loader uses - I have a set of stairs to put in on the 40 deg grade and perhaps some water features on the hills, I also could haul the thing to my sister-in-laws and dig a trench for her sump pump.

One last thing, my yard has an underground sprinkler system - 15 zones, auto pop-up heads. I don't want to crush the thing with a new machine.

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
You need a back-hoe and fel, but I was thinking if you were older like late 50's you would want a tractor with a cab and some heat.

Then again you could rent a backhoe loader and get the stuff done, then get yourself this http://www.1969supersport.com/01tractor.html you drive one of these in the winter one time and thats the end of the story, you'll go get one.

No chains for blowing snow:fing32:

Rob

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The cab isn't a big deal for me. I just dress warm and hope for the best with the wind - maybe in the future as an upgrade.

I've been online today alot as my son has a friend over so I figured I could do some online browsing. Looks like the Husky is out - there are some seriously hacked off folks about poor quality and extreme lack of customer service. I read it on some 'complaint' sites, but still people just don't make stuff up for no reason.

So I'm leaning for the Kubota and Cub Cadet, did I read somewhere that Cub Cadet is an MTD product? I did :thSick:

Never mind now leaning to Kubota only, unless others are brought up by members of this forum. The John Deere Gas is close to 10K and I can get a Kubota Diesel for 15K. So still on the hunt.

·
Has anyone seen ChimChim?
6,553 Posts
You are looking at Sub Compacts, and the Cub is made by Yanmar, so it's basically a 2000 series John Deere. There is also New Holland and Case they are all worth checking out if you have dealers around. Basically you want to pick the machine that has the best dealer support and the best track record.

·
Registered
273 Posts
The cab isn't a big deal for me. I just dress warm and hope for the best with the wind - maybe in the future as an upgrade.

I've been online today alot as my son has a friend over so I figured I could do some online browsing. Looks like the Husky is out - there are some seriously hacked off folks about poor quality and extreme lack of customer service. I read it on some 'complaint' sites, but still people just don't make stuff up for no reason.

So I'm leaning for the Kubota and Cub Cadet, did I read somewhere that Cub Cadet is an MTD product? I did :thSick:

Never mind now leaning to Kubota only, unless others are brought up by members of this forum. The John Deere Gas is close to 10K and I can get a Kubota Diesel for 15K. So still on the hunt.
you might want to try a

simplicty

http://www.simplicitymfg.com/

massy fergision

http://www.masseylawn.com/

AGCO

http://www.agcolawn.com/

and beleve it or not sears has a new higher end model came out about a month ago

all of these brands are made by simplicty and are clones of each other they are rebrand so depending on dealers in your aera for service briggs and stratton just purchased simplicty

sub compact models

simplicity Legacy® XL subcompact garden tractor VANGARD Diesel

Massey Ferguson 2900 Series Subcompact Garden Tractor

ACGO 2027 Series Garden Tractor

THESE THREE ARE ALL SHAFT DRIVEN 2 OR 4WD POWER EVERY THING THREE POINT REAR PTO CAN TAKE LOADER BACK HOE ECT HAS FOOT AND HAND CONTROLS SUPOSE TO HAVE THE BEST CUT AROUND Cruise Control
Steering Power,Tilt Wheel,Headlights,Hourmeter,Fuel Level Indicator, PTO Switch,12 Volt DC Outlet, Cup Holder,Tool Box,Hand Grip, Fender Rails,Parking Brake Full-Width ROOLERS, Follows Contours, Allows Striping

HIGH END GARDEN TRACTOR SLEVE HITCH

simplicity Prestige 2WD differential lock OR 4WD

http://www.simplicitymfg.com/products/yard-and-garden-tractors/prestige/

massy fergision 2800 Series Garden Tractor 2WD differential lock OR 4WD

http://www.masseylawn.com/2800SeriesGardenTractor.htm

agco 1800 Series Garden Tractor 2WD differential lock ONLY

http://www.agcolawn.com/1800SeriesGardenTractor.htm

SEARS Craftsman Professional Premium 30 hp GAS 2WD differential lock ONLY
NO STRIPEING ROOLER

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_07128985000P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

AND THERE IS THIS ONE

INGERSOLL
Ingersoll Tractor Company, with a long and proud history dating back to 1962
Ingersoll tractors are hand built in Maine with welded steel frames and body components, cast iron front and rear axles and an industrial grade hydraulic drive train you find on heavy equipment.

Our patented hydraulic drive - HyDrivetm - features a powerful pump that provides constant oil flow to drive the tractor and the hydraulic attachments -- with power and efficiency. There are no belts, pulleys or shafts in our drive system to cause trouble or consume valuable power.
http://www.eastmanind.com/INGERSOLL/tabid/186/Default.aspx

HOPE THIS GIVES YOU SOME MORE CHOICES SORRY i TOOK SO LONG IT TOOK ME FOREVER TO TYPE THISS

·
Gravely bug bit.
8,733 Posts
You are looking at Sub Compacts, and the Cub is made by Yanmar, so it's basically a 2000 series John Deere. There is also New Holland and Case they are all worth checking out if you have dealers around. Basically you want to pick the machine that has the best dealer support and the best track record.
Correct on Yanmar/Cub Cadet. They own MTD and not the other way around.

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
If it were me I would be looking at the JD X700 series, Kubota BX series or the Ingersoll. Any of the 3 should give you years of service with very few problems if any. I really like the little diesel engines for longevity. With only 1 acre I would rent a backhoe and if your working close to buildings and not really good operating a hoe I would hire it out as it would be cheaper in the long run not needing a costly repair. Right now JD is giving $700 off of the X700 series and Ingersoll is having a sale also. slkpk

·
6,553 Posts
Correct on Yanmar/Cub Cadet. They own MTD and not the other way around.
MTD owns Cub Cadet.... They have for quite a few years now. But the new SC series is made for MTD Cub Cadet, By Yanmar.

The models are already proven (nearly identical to models offered by Deere) just a different color. But with that being said, I wouldn't give Cub the time of day again after my horrendous ordeal with them back in late 05.

·
6,553 Posts
If it were me I would be looking at the JD X700 series, Kubota BX series or the Ingersoll. Any of the 3 should give you years of service with very few problems if any. I really like the little diesel engines for longevity. With only 1 acre I would rent a backhoe and if your working close to buildings and not really good operating a hoe I would hire it out as it would be cheaper in the long run not needing a costly repair. Right now JD is giving $700 off of the X700 series and Ingersoll is having a sale also. slkpk
I do tend to agree with that.. My reasoning is that if you want a real backhoe machine you need to look into the 3000 series from Deere or similar sized Mid Frame tractor from other brands. I'm just not sold on SCUT's with Back Hoe's and I would never strap one to a Garden Tractor, no matter how well it's built.

If you remove the backhoe from the list of toys then I'd say something along the lines of an X700 series from Deere or an XL series from Simplicity (those 2 machines are very similar having many of the same drive train components) and both will be very comfy to mow with and can handle lots of other implements.

I haven't looked at Kubota recently, but the last time I checked they really didn't have anything comparable to the X700's or the Simplicity Legacy XL. In Kubota you pretty much have to move into the SCUT line.

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts
I'm 42 years old and need this thing to last as long as possible.

I guess I should add I pull a 15cuft trailer with it, also use it to spread fertilizer (big version ?200lb? capacity) and have a sweeper and dethatcher.

It looks like the Husky is <40" wide at the rear tires (per a local shop) and all I would have to do is possibly by some new mounts for the Berco. Seems to be the 'cheapest' option.

But I do know the 'cheapest' option sometimes costs you the most money.

As far as the backhoe & front loader uses - I have a set of stairs to put in on the 40 deg grade and perhaps some water features on the hills, I also could haul the thing to my sister-in-laws and dig a trench for her sump pump.

One last thing, my yard has an underground sprinkler system - 15 zones, auto pop-up heads. I don't want to crush the thing with a new machine.
you can always but too little, and that can be bad. if you have the money you might as well go big! even large garden tractors like the aforementioned John Deere x700 series can use a front end loader, not sure of a back hoe. but if i had the choice between a compact utility tractor and a lawn tractor, i would SO choose a c.u.t.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, still officially looking and thinking. But need opinions as I think I have found the machine:

My wife is almost sold on the Kubota BX2360 with Turf Tires, 50" front mount blower and 54" Fine Cut MMM with mulching kit.

About $16500 total - this includes Tax/Doc Fee/Ins(5yr) and a $275mo payment for 60 months with 0 interest.

Would you pull the trigger on this?

·
not quins. but sextuplets
15,241 Posts
well...in my book...I'd go with the JD 700 series....but for a mower...I wish JD made a full time mulchin deck like their Freedom 42" deck they used on the LT 155 mower... only make the new one 60 or 72 wide....

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
Well, still officially looking and thinking. But need opinions as I think I have found the machine:

My wife is almost sold on the Kubota BX2360 with Turf Tires, 50" front mount blower and 54" Fine Cut MMM with mulching kit.

About $16500 total - this includes Tax/Doc Fee/Ins(5yr) and a $275mo payment for 60 months with 0 interest.

I would look into how many Kubota dealers near you, parts that they stock, are they a full service dealer, that they can fix anything on it.

Will they come to your place and fix it, will they pick it up.

How long to wait for parts or get something fixed.

I went with a John Deere because of my age, I know they will come here and get it or fix it here and they are full service and are pretty good sized dealerships.

Its a little different then buying a car, a tractor that is, but how often will the Kubota brake down, I would look at these things before I bought a tractor.

I was thinking about a Kubota myself, but I went with a john deere, do the research first and I would bet you go for the john Deere, were really tickled with our x728.

Rob

·
Registered
3,889 Posts

I don't know a lot about these tractors but I read a lot on these forums, (retired) and the time to do it.

You mentioned turf tires, it seems like the turf tires aren't the tire of choice for these john deeres.

Just yesterday somebody ordered a new john deere x748 with the turfs and then several guys told him to lose the turfs and get some hdaps (heavy duty all purpose) better for your lawn and better traction in the snow.

Just running some stuff by you.

Rob

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I haven't ordered yet - this is just the build out I had them quote.

The dealer is the closest at <25 miles and appx 40 minutes. It's all good roads and the dealer has a huge shop and handles little - big and even New Holland. They have been at it for years and have a huge service center. Yes they do deliver/pickup but I have a trailer and 2500HD Diesel Pickup so it pretty easy for me.

The other problem, other manuf dealers are further and don't seem to be setup for service after the sale. One is very near where I used to live but it's over an hour (probably 1.5 hours) away and I need to drag through 1 city and one good sized town - not a fun trip.

The Husky dealer is closer but back to that pesky 'not really built for it' problem.

·
Likes Vintage JDs
9,875 Posts
One thing to think about is expandability. On the Kubotas like 2360, you can get a front end loader (FEL), but can you add an OEM backhoe?

I REALLY like the Kubotas, and seems the owners do too. But when I was looking at these, I got the impression that you need to purchase the BX25 if you want to have the OEM backhoe. Whereas if you go with BX1860, 2360, 2660, you are ruling out adding the OEM backhoe later (I will not swear to this, so please someone correct me if I'm wrong).

This seems to be why so many folks choose the JD 2305, a similar sized machine. The base unit doesn't come with a backhoe, but you can add one whenever you want -- at purchase or later. Seems like this offers more expandability, with less upfront costs.

But if you've decided you don't need a backhoe, you really should look hard at the JD X700 series. There are about a dozen models to choose from: Diesel or gas options; All-Wheel-Drive and All-Wheel-Steer options; You can add a front-end-loader; etc etc. Take a peek -- even if you rule them out, you can feel that you studied them and made a knowledgeable decision.

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
I guess I could mention this. On the garden tractor forums right now, kubota has 24 viewers and john deere has 398 viewers.

If you need help with a tractor, the forum with the most viewers will give you a better source for infomation. Like fixing it, pictures of the parts, more parts available, etc.

Rob

1 - 20 of 30 Posts