My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a guy from Miss. interested in buying my Cub 124 pulling tractor and he is planning of having it shipped via a 18-wheeler flat bed trailer. My problem now is how am I going to load this tractor on to the trailer. I was thinking of using my 6x12 trailer with my tractor in it, place my loading ramp between my trailer and the 18-wheeler, and drive the tractor up that way. At least this will elevate my tractor a little. I'm not sure if this willl even help.

No access to a forklift or a loading dock.

How far off fhe ground is the 18-wheeler flat bed?

Any ideas how to do this safely? Thx.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
get 2 long strong boards and use them as ramps, or make a large mound of dirt and back the trailer up to the dirt and drive the tractor up the dirt mound, or some 18 wheeler delivery trucks have fork lifts mounted on the back that u could possibly lift the tractor onto the flat bed with

·
Banned
12,901 Posts
Two things.. How heavy is your cub? that will determine the safety of planks or needing actual ramps. Also.. is it a high boy, a normal deck or a low boy? if its a low boy does it have the hydralic front end. Worst case is its a high boy.. that would take some looong planks.. I would not be driving a GT up that..

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
Tell the purchaser that the tractor is on the ground and the trucking company will have to do their own loading.

Mike

·
Registered
7,945 Posts
The moving company moved mine (a 128, same thing) from MA to VA.

4 guys lifted it on, 4 guys lifted it off.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Two things.. How heavy is your cub? that will determine the safety of planks or needing actual ramps. Also.. is it a high boy, a normal deck or a low boy? if its a low boy does it have the hydralic front end. Worst case is its a high boy.. that would take some looong planks.. I would not be driving a GT up that..
Tractor is about 800 lbs.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Could get it in the back of a pickup. Then drive the tractor up the ramps onto the semi trailer. That would split the distance from the ground to the trailer up pritty evan. Just a thought

·
Collector of many tractors
15,274 Posts
Easy... Somewhere around your home there has to be a bank.
Just have the trailer back up to the bank and drive your tractor on...
Even if its a mile from your home that should be no problem...

·
Loving Life :-)
4,007 Posts
Those would be long planks for a standard dock height trailer. Been there, done that and 20 ' beams are just enough as ramps.

What I have done in smarter fashion is to find a relatively local terminal ( mine is 4 miles away) that way outbound freight ( your tractor) can be delivered right there to them on the ground . Usually they have all sorts of dock heights/ ramps. Then the outbound semi pulls up to whatever dock he needs, and you can drive that tractor right on, no matter what it is- highboy, standard or lowboy. A small fee to the terminal is involved.
With your location in Chicagoland, there very well may be a terminal right nearby.

edit---- I like your ramp between the trailers idea- but a word of caution in that the ramps need to be pinned/ secured at both ends. Ask me how I know.:fing20:

·
Registered
891 Posts
Whoever is coordinating the truck transport needs to use the term "lift gate service" as part of the order. You can specify it for one or both ends of the transport. Generally, the trucking company will dispatch a small truck with a lift gate, then take your cargo to a transfer hub and stick it on a big OTR truck. Costs a couple of extra bucks, but eliminates all the hassles (and doesn't ****-off the drivers.)

Heads up - gasoline and engine oil are generally considered flammables, and may require special handling. You might find that a trucker will balk at transporting something that has had gasoline in it, even if the tank has been drained. I had a portable generator get kicked off a transport pallet because it still had crankcase oil in it.

·
Premium Member
3,484 Posts
If you have someone with a rollback nearby that'd be the best way.I wouldn't even consider using boards,good way to get killed or butchered up.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the ideas guys. At least I have a few things to think about.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
I have unloaded a few items from a 18-wheeler to the back of my 4x4 pickup. The difference in height was some where around 18 inches.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
honestly, the best way to do it would have some strong people help lift it on.

·
Registered
552 Posts
If you have a local lumber company near you ask them very nicely if they could put it on a truck for you.I work at a home depot and we help out any customers we can to keep them happy.I loaded a hot tub from a flatbed to a box truck for a customer and he has become one of our best customers.Customer service can be a good friend!

·
Registered
953 Posts
Shaft:

Ask the potential purchaser for more info about this 18 wheel flatbed trailer. I assume he's not sending one from Miss., but instead is planning to line up a trucker in Ill to pick it up and bring it down to him. Get the info and talk to them. If it's a local trucking company, they likely have a loading dock, forklift, etc., at their facility so you can just drop the tractor off and they'll load it. If he's just hiring an independent trucker local to you, the trucker will know of somewhere with a loading dock where you can meet him.

Keep in mind that any good shipping company and/or experienced truck driver is going to want to ensure that any cargo they go to get can be loaded so they don't waste time. So they'll seek to make sure everything's in order before they agree to move it.

·
Super Moderator
33,601 Posts
Got a neighbor with a FEL? Strap it in the bucket and lift it on the trailer. If you have some long 2x8 or 2x10 you can brace them at 4 ft intervals and drive it up.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts