My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Saber 2148 HV 2010 John Deere x500
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 Sabre 2148HV with the kholer command 21hp v-twin and the wiring harness that goes to the back of the tractor to the seat safety and the reverse cut off switch got caught in the fan on the transaxle and ripped the wires apart right under the dash I have traced and tried to rewire the reverse safety and the seat switch but now my tractor dies when I let off the brake pedal or engage the pto switch I desperately need a wiring diagram to try to fix this as I do not have enough money to go buy a new wiring harness it was only three wires 2 solid black ones and a black with gray or white line and I have wired it every way imaginable and I can't fix it any help would be greatly appreciated please lol I'm driving myself insane try to figure this out it only has 90 hours on it so any suggestions or help would be more than appreciated thank you for reading my post

·
Registered
622 Posts
I have a 99 model Scotts, which is about the same tractor I believe. It was obviously a wiring nightmare to the previous owner, who had put it away and left it unused for years. I looked at the wiring, and started cutting. I took out all I could find, threw it in the scrap pile and wired it to start, running a cable to the solenoid, and one from there to the ignition switch. One BACK from the ignition to the solenoid to energize it, making the solenoid then send power to the starter. I then found the kill wire coming from the coil, and wired that to a stop button.

I didnt need or want all the safety switches or headlights, if I decide I do, I'll wire them in seperately.

·
Registered
242 Posts
It sounds like the seat switch wires. Normally it will kill the engine if you get up off the seat while the PTO is on. What color are the two wires attached to the actual seat switch? You can test the switch, but on most tractors it completes the circuit when you are sitting on the seat. So a broken wire would be like you are off the seat. Can you find those same two wires where they broke, or are the wires pulled out of the circuit board so you do not know which was where? Sorry, I do not have that tractor nor a wiring diagram. Hopefully someone here can help you more.

·
L120/G110 Hybridizer
1,171 Posts
The schematics for the 2002 L series is attached. Yours would probably be similar to the L120 or L130.

Good Luck,
Paul

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It sounds like the seat switch wires. Normally it will kill the engine if you get up off the seat while the PTO is on. What color are the two wires attached to the actual seat switch? You can test the switch, but on most tractors it completes the circuit when you are sitting on the seat. So a broken wire would be like you are off the seat. Can you find those same two wires where they broke, or are the wires pulled out of the circuit board so you do not know which was where? Sorry, I do not have that tractor nor a wiring diagram. Hopefully someone here can help you more.
It doesn't have a circuit board but it has 2 automotive style relays I'll try to post pics tomorrow but it was 3 wires that bgot tore apart it was 2 solid black and 1 black with a gray or white tracer on it and those 3 wires got to the reverse safety switch and the seat safety switch so I'm supposed to take 3 wires and turn them into 5 I'm guessing I have messed up that horribly some how I'm going to download the technical manual on my phone and have it printed out tomorrow but I'm going to take the tractor all the way to frame and start tracing and cleaning grounds and checking wires I'm almost insane I can't believe the wiring is so complicated on this "cheap Tractor " but it was 4000 new in 2000 that's far from cheap the John Deere dealer ship wanted to charge me over 1000 to get the wiring harness for it which is out rageous

·
Registered
982 Posts
John Deere dealer ship wanted to charge me over 1000 to get the wiring harness for it which is out rageous
I'm surprised the harness is still available from the dealer.

I'd suggest that you look on eBay for a used harness. The pictures alone might be helpful. If you're not familiar with eBay, you can select advanced search, then click on completed listings and perhaps find some pictures from an old listing. As they say, sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words.

BTW - I think once you understand the theory of operation of the safety switches, the harness will not seem very complicated at all. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
6,430 Posts
How old is the battery ?, a weak battery can cut it off when you throw on the PTO switch

·
Resident John Deere Tech
1,672 Posts
It doesn't have a circuit board but it has 2 automotive style relays I'll try to post pics tomorrow but it was 3 wires that bgot tore apart it was 2 solid black and 1 black with a gray or white tracer on it and those 3 wires got to the reverse safety switch and the seat safety switch so I'm supposed to take 3 wires and turn them into 5 I'm guessing I have messed up that horribly some how I'm going to download the technical manual on my phone and have it printed out tomorrow but I'm going to take the tractor all the way to frame and start tracing and cleaning grounds and checking wires I'm almost insane I can't believe the wiring is so complicated on this "cheap Tractor " but it was 4000 new in 2000 that's far from cheap the John Deere dealer ship wanted to charge me over 1000 to get the wiring harness for it which is out rageous
The 2148 was basically a GT235 painted mint green hence it not really being a "cheap" tractor...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How old is the battery ?, a weak battery can cut it off when you throw on the PTO switch
It's about 2 years old but it's reading 12.7 volts and holding charge so it is good i have either wired the rear wiring back together wrong or it may have shorted a safety switch the it also dies when I let out on the brake pedal I'm thinking the brake interlock safety is the problem because it doesn't seem to complicated to re wire the rear harness

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The 2148 was basically a GT235 painted mint green hence it not really being a "cheap" tractor...
So would the GT235 wiring diagram be of any help or is it going to have enough differences to make it useless?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
heres the schematic for your machine, i would have posted it first think this morning, but i wasnt at work yet, so no access to my tech stuff...LOL
Awesome thank you so much for the help you don't know how much it means

1 - 12 of 12 Posts