My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a CJ740 tractor that we are using to cut 12 acres. Here's the problem. Up until now I've been hauling the tractor 45 minutes one way just to cut grass. We decided this weekend to leave it on the property. There isn't a storage unit and for now we aren't planning on building anything. SO my question is this. I plan to leave it on the trailer at the property and the trailer will have a boot or something to keep someone from stealing.

The problem is the JD doesn't have holes in the hub to attach a boot device. I've never used a boot so I assume you have to go through the center of the wheel... Can anyone offer any suggestions as to what I could do.

My dad said I could get some carbon chain which would be uncuttable with bolt cutters. We could then chain it down to the trailer, but was wondering if this was the best option. I know having it stored inside would be the best scenario, but not feasible right now.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Steve

·
9K+ Poster
12,162 Posts
Steve,

Welcome to the forum! :Welcome1: I have no experience with locking up tractors, but hopefully some of our posters will chime in. :)

·
Retired Aug.31 2007
7,473 Posts
If you want to keep your tractor and trailer, spend the 45 minutes hauling it. It is better than losing your tractor and trailer.

·
AKA Moses Lawnagan
4,654 Posts
About the only thing you can do is make it very inconvenient for someone to steal. Jack up the trailer, take off a trailer wheel, set the axle on a block. Jack up the tractor (on the trailer), and remove a front wheel. Either hide them out in the bushes somewhere nearby, or take them with you. Wrap heavy chain (like you were saying) around the front axle of the tractor and chain it to the trailer, with a big-*** lock.

Anybody wants to steal it now is going to be pretty determined. All that work should take you about 20 minutes, is it worth it rather than towing the trailer? Get a tarp, also, cover the tractor to give it some protection from weather.

None of this will protect it from vandalism, though. There are some A-ho's out there who just like to tear stuff up.

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
The boots that parking authorities use to immobilize just clamp on. They don't need a hole to thread through.

That said, KHodges makes a good point about vandalism. What they can't steal, they just might trash.

Could you maybe rent a shipping container for the time being?

·
Citizen of Earth
16,328 Posts
If you want to keep your tractor and trailer, spend the 45 minutes hauling it. It is better than losing your tractor and trailer.
:ditto: The risk of losing it or having the tires slashed and wiring ripped out would be too much for me to leave it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The boots that parking authorities use to immobilize just clamp on. They don't need a hole to thread through.

That said, KHodges makes a good point about vandalism. What they can't steal, they just might trash.

Could you maybe rent a shipping container for the time being?
I really don't think it will be a problem as far as vandalism. It's way in the county and we've put it at the back of 15 acres. I know people could still go back there. I have been talking with someone about putting up a small pole barn 10x16 feet to store it in. The thing is we don't really want to put up something that we'll end up taking down. But then again I don't want my stuff sold.

I also talked with someone that sells chains and they said a Grade 100 5/8 couldn't be cut with bolt cutters. So we may go that direction. I wish we were already living on the land. Just can't do anything until I get out of school.

·
20,000 +posts!
20,939 Posts
ANY chain can be cut easily with cutting torches,(the higher the carbon content the easier a torch cuts it too!)--I'd consider that method useless for peventing theft, myself...someone with a large roll back ramp truck could drag the trailer and tractor up on it in 5 minutes,even if it had no wheels on it,
also if this location is as secluded as you say,that only adds to the theives advantage of never being seen stealing it,or someone vandalizing it..

A storage container or building might serve as nothing more than a good place for it to be stripped or vandallized without anyone seeing it too..
so I'd say keep hauling it home with you each time..if you had a neighbor close by who can keep an eye on it you can trust,that would be better than leaving it somewhere isolated for sure..I wouldn't let a tractor and trailer worth thousands anywhere out of my sight if it were mine,even if I had plenty of insurance on it..

I see what kids here do to dozers and trackhoes left even one night at a job site,no thanks!..one trackhoe was hotwired and they used it to completely destroy a 100K bucket loader,then drove it into a pond until the boom was the only thing left sticking out of the water..250K in damages all told,nearly bankrupted the contractor..

·
I have my bear skin
698 Posts
Okay. Story for ya. We have a cabin way up in the mountains of VA. There are no houses or paved roads for MILES. One day we found the doors to the shed and the cabin kicked in and $200 worth of stuff stolen. It is a very bad world out there.
JD40

·
Retired and Busy!
10,175 Posts
glassfishy

A chain and a tarp are better than nothing but I worry more about vandalism more than anything. Good luck.

:MTF_wel2: We are glad you found us on the net. There are many friendly and knowledgeable folks here at MTF, so enjoy all the different forums. Click on ”Active Topics” near the top left of the page for all the latest activity. You can also register with other members from your state by clicking here:

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Vandalism does worry me. I used to have a tenant on my property who once took the tractor around the property and lied about it. I then started hiding the rotor from the distributor. He wore the battery down and then I confronted him on it. Still I do like the idea of hauling it just to have piece of mind.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I am in the same postion you are in. I see you are in Ky. What part might I ask???? I left mine unattneded off and on for the past few months. I too have a 45 minute drive, maybe a little less. We went down and mowed Saturday. I was gonna do the same as you. I couldn't bear it. I pulled her back home.:Stop:

·
Registered
838 Posts
welcome.....Can you talk to a neighbor there and possibly leave it there?
I would have to agree!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pulling the key and putting a fuel shut off or another kill switch where they cant find it would also be helpful.

The best method by far is to transport it back and forth seeing how you are going to make the trip anyway. Thats the only way I can have peice of mind with my equipment.

Seen too many tractors get shot up or vandilized. Years ago my cousin had a tractor that they left in the feild overnight and the next day the fuel was gone, the windows were shot out and the stereo was ripped out.

·
Just passing through
8,413 Posts
:ditto: :ditto:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Few years ago someone stole a bulldozer from a jobsite and destroyed a soccer field and some buildings with it. He was headed towards a school but it ran out of fuel.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Make friends with a nearby homeowner and park it on their place! Maybe offer some money in exchange for watching your gear at their place.

·
Super Moderator
29,566 Posts
:Welcome1:

i agree with the others, take it with you. if someone wants ti bad enough, they WILL get it. heck, they could see it up there and not have the tools with them and then come back with the torch.

we had someone strip 25 6" copper pipes off one of our towers. the tower is 300' tall and they took all of them down all teh way to the top! they cut all the bolts holding the waveguide(pipe) in place and jus tdropped it where their associates loaded it on trailers and hauled it away. considering how much it was, they got a pretty penny for their efforts. luckily for us it was abandoned by the previous owner, AT&T.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts