·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The tag on the body says:
Model 38800A
Date Code: 2549

38" Deck (missing), 12.5HP Overhead Valve

I picked up 3 riders (Craftsman 42", Craftsman 38", Murray 38") yesterday for $75 for all three. The Craftsmans are complete, but the Murray is missing a few things (deck, original engine?, key switch, battery, wiring harness, gas tank).

I have another 38" Craftsman that was made by made by Murray. I haven't looked real close, but they at glance, they appear to be very similar. Would the parts be interchangeable? The Craftsman runs well, but the engine leaks quite a bit of oil and I'm missing the hood.

I may either repaint the Murray hood, or strip the Craftsman and rebuild the Murray. The Murray body is in slightly better condition and more complete (it HAS a hood).

I'm planning on cleaning them up and getting them running. What would be worth more money (even though they are functionaly the same) ... Craftsman or Murray? Does it even matter?

·
The Wildebeast
86 Posts
fix the murray. it will love you for it!:fing32:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Are you sure that is the full model number? Most numbers that I have seen have at least six numbers and then a letter and sometimes more numbers after the letter.

·
Registered
690 Posts
as far as which is worth more fixed, I think its insignificant. A decent older used Murray and Craftsmen are worth the same. Areas differ, but around me they should pull in around 300 +or - granted we don't' have much info.

How about some pics.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
I don't have that model # in my collection. Can you post a picture or two?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've checked the tag several times. I must be missing something. There's NOTHING that shows up on a Google Search either. I can usually find SOMETHING on a Google search even if it's just a passing reference.

I'll try to post a pic later this evening.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've checked the tag several times. I must be missing something. There's NOTHING that shows up on a Google Search either. I can usually find SOMETHING on a Google search even if it's just a passing reference.

I'll try to post a pic later this evening.
Try this Murray site. Maybe you can find out something.

http://murray.myfaqcenter.com/Answer.aspx?p_faqid=3008

You can check for manuals on that site also, But I already tried the number you gave and it did not find anything.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm gonna go with that one!! Thanks! Looks pretty darn close if it isn't the correct one. The tag numbers are pretty small, so it very well could be 386 instead of 388.

Hoping to get a crack at it this weekend. The more I look at it, the more I think the Craftsman I have (sans hood) is identical to it and will function as a donor to replace the missing parts on the Murray.

I like the looks of the Murray better than the Craftsman.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Cool, I was hoping it would be close. Even if it's not the exact tractor most parts should be the same. I have never ordered through partsandservice.com though. I just use them to get the part numbers than hit google.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts