My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
you are bypassing all safeties. It will start as long as key is in run. So blades may be engaged and in gear. Risky.
No matter how much it turns over, it will not start, unless the key is turned on and the brake is set, and the gear shift is in neutral on my lawn tractor...the only safety switch that is disconnected, is the one on the seat, when that is connected, and you are not in the seat, it will not run , that got a little annoying, ....

·
Senior MTF Poster
13,052 Posts
."also,check ALL your grounds."
This is frequently the problem when it occurs as you describe. . Often it is the ground from battery to the chassis. Note it is against the rules of this forum to tell someone to bypass, deactivate, safety features not to mention Fed. Regs. A new solenoid is less $10 at auto parts store.

Walt Conner

·
5,786 Posts
No matter how much it turns over, it will not start, unless the key is turned on and the brake is set, and the gear shift is in neutral on my lawn tractor...the only safety switch that is disconnected, is the one on the seat, when that is connected, and you are not in the seat, it will not run , that got a little annoying, ....
House rule #5 specifically prohibits discussions of bypassing any safety device
5. No Illegal/unsafe Suggestions. Please no pointers, how-to’s,etc of any illegal/unsafe practices. (example: By-passing Safety Switches)

·
Administrator
5,581 Posts
Bad idea all round in my opinion. First, is bypassing safety switches, plain dangerous and we don't condone talk of it here. Secondly, you would need a wire as fat as the starter wire to be able to handle the amperage and a switch to match. Just buy a new solenoid if that's what's needed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
House rule #5 specifically prohibits discussions of bypassing any safety device
5. No Illegal/unsafe Suggestions. Please no pointers, how-to’s,etc of any illegal/unsafe practices. (example: By-passing Safety Switches)
Understood, :no pointers on how to make your machine work more effetely ........my statement said that all of my safety devices still worked even when I by passed the solenoid , no danger and no illegal practices ...safety devices were not connected to the solenoid....they are connected to the ignition, if any of the safety devices are in the wrong position, it will not start, even if you by pass the solenoid.......this is just my tractor, others may be set up differently....

·
5,786 Posts
You did mention that you disabled the seat safety switch...it is understood that this is necessary sometimes to trouble shoot...but still becomes a problem if someone sees that you did it and tries it and has an accident...some people just are unaware...it looks like you ride...so you know...could you possibly count how many people almost ran right into you on your bike..they see you coming ...headlight on...but they don't see you...if you have not gotten the thing going yet...how about restating the problem ( Your posts came on a kind of old thread...and not really clear if it was a problem or just a thought that you had) ) and we can try again to help find the gremlin and get you cutting again...good luck and safe riding

·
Registered
5 Posts
You did mention that you disabled the seat safety switch...it is understood that this is necessary sometimes to trouble shoot...but still becomes a problem if someone sees that you did it and tries it and has an accident...some people just are unaware...it looks like you ride...so you know...could you possibly count how many people almost ran right into you on your bike..they see you coming ...headlight on...but they don't see you...if you have not gotten the thing going yet...how about restating the problem ( Your posts came on a kind of old thread...and not really clear if it was a problem or just a thought that you had) ) and we can try again to help find the gremlin and get you cutting again...good luck and safe riding
Thank you, I should not have mentioned the seat...My lawn tractor is notorious for going through solenoids , usually in the middle of the winter ,when it is cold out and I need it for plowing snow, and I have to take a lot of parts off to get to it, while it is snowing out and freezing, so the solenoid has to be by passed to get the job done...and considering that it take so much time to replace it, I am thinking of forgetting about the solenoid and going with a starter button in a line straight from the battery to the starter, with a flip safety cover on the button , so it can not accidentally be pushed...Have a great day....

·
5,786 Posts
As Poncho pointed out...you would need heavy wire and switch....You might find what you need in marine supply..I have seen set ups like that on boats...or you might try using the starter relay assist that Brad developed...it does not bypass any safety mechanisms and works very well...it costs less than 10 dollars to do it and could save you a lot of trouble

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
If your brake and pto safeties are still functioning when you jump battery to starter then your mower has a very unique wiring setup. I believe that you think it's the case but I doubt it and for your safety replace the solenoid. Then you may discover that your problem is a defective safety.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts