My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So longtime coming, finally started trying to figure out the problems with this thing. First thing key doesnt engage starter I assume it's the ignition switch. I pulled the starter and jumped it with cables and everything worked as it should. I reinstalled it cleaned the intake out and got it to crank over freely. I am going to drain fuel system and bleed it all out tomorrow. But I need to get it in the shop and I cannot seem to get the trans to free up. The relief buttons do not look rusted out and they pop in and out fairly easily. I jacked it up and I can spin the left wheel but the right just seems locked in place. So question is does the park brake only control the right wheel or is there some reason the right would be stuck it's got maybe a inch back and forward of play. I know that was long winded but I'm pretty excited about getting this project going.

·
Super Moderator
28,716 Posts
Probably just the right brake is stuck, that will happen on them. Try a rubber mallet or no blow hammer on the drum. Don't smack it too hard though. If it loosens up I recommend pulling the drum and getting everything loosened up in there good. Just a touch of lube in places so it stays loose too.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm hoping that's all it is. I was happy to see if turn over and puff a few shots of smoke. I got it for free so the engine turning over was a must for me to continue

·
4,136 Posts
You can see the mark on the tire ....indicating it was parked in water .....so it is safe to believe that it is rusted up in there....if you pull up the metal tab between the two brake pedals you can operate each brake side independently....it has drum brakes .....you may be able to use a regular old fashioned brake adjusting tool to turn the star adjusting nut to break it free ( if you don't have a brake adjustment tool....a good size screwdriver will do it).....it will be easier to work on if you do remove the tire at this time ....that will give you a little progress...but at that point follow advice from PA318Guy ...pull the drum and clean it out...you are getting there...good luck with it

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank yall at first I was worried the transmission was locked up. Now with the responses its sounding like that break is just locked up. Another question from my research there are only 2 safety switches which would prevent starting those would be the neutral switch in the dash and the operators presence switch in the seat correct? Also I'm trying to tell if this thing has a PTO it looks like there is a small shaft up under the seat but I dont know if that shaft is a PTO are these PTOs like the ones on larger tractors?

·
4,136 Posts
This is one of the larger tractors as far as Garden Tractors go...the shaft under the seat to which you refer...is in that black hole between the fuel tank and the dash tower I believe is the one going back to the transmission...and has a U joint on it (grease that ujoint now..you should see a pulley at the front of the engine..that pulley is connected to the PTO...there should be a PTO switch somewhere on the dash...if that is in the on position it will prevent starting also as a safety device

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
PA I am going to be trying that first thing as long as this weather holds up hoping that's it. And I thought I saw somewhere these had a actual PTO shaft? I'm looking to have a plow or preferably a tiller to clean my middles up in my fields this year.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh ok so that is the PTO shaft awesome I read a thread saying some of the 332s had em and some didnt like it was a option

·
4,136 Posts
Now I see the one you are talking about....this is on a 318 ...but pretty much the same.....there is also a gear box that you can attach to this ....expensive

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I thought it was controlled off of the PTO coming out the back of the engine? Or is the shaft with the U joint constantly spinning? And what tiller is the one that would work to this tractor without the new gearbox?

·
Super Moderator
28,716 Posts
So that shaft is constantly spinning and is a 1:1 ratio with the shaft from the engine. Literally, that is the back end of the shaft that goes to the front of the pump that the u-joint from the drive shaft connects to.

Sorry, the tiller that works with this without the PTO shaft is the hydrostatic tiller but it has it's own hydraulic pump that mounts under the tractor.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts