My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love running over everything possible with my x530. I've been doing it for 5 years or so. I've finally broke my mower.

Is this something I can fix on my own? Whats the part called?

Thanks!

·
4,174 Posts

·
Super Moderator
28,851 Posts
Since you are going to have to replace the spindle a grinder to take those heads off would be the easiest way. Make sure to pick up 3 new spindle bolts for it as well.

·
Registered
788 Posts
An X5 spindle should have 4 bolts. IIRC GX22456

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Never used a grinder before. It seems like even if i grind it off I'm still gonna need to get those bolts off that are attached directly to the deck. Do i just grind the bolts off as well?

·
Registered
788 Posts
Oops.. assumed your spindle was held with the same self tappers as my X540, which is not the case. Based on the parts illustration, there's locknuts up on top of those bolts. If you look at the top of your deck, you can likely just take those nuts off and be all set.

·
Super Moderator
28,851 Posts
Never used a grinder before. It seems like even if i grind it off I'm still gonna need to get those bolts off that are attached directly to the deck. Do i just grind the bolts off as well?

If you grind them off at the bottom (red arrow) you will only need to take the nut off the top of the pulley (blue circle) then drive the spindle out, it should fall out the bottom.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you so much for your diagram!

Seems like an impact driver might be a better fit here? Especially if I want to change the blades an I dont have a grinder

·
Registered
305 Posts
An impact should do just fine if you can get a straight shot at the fasteners. You'll also need a wrench, preferably a box wrench, to hold the head of the bolt while you impact the nuts off. Or vice versa. I don't recommend an open end wrench because it can round off the fasteners when used with an impact. No offense if you already knew that but with you having never even used a grinder before, I'm guessing you haven't spent much time working on stuff. And that's okay, because nobody was born knowing how to do much of anything and this forum is a great place to learn!

Edit: Oh and changing blades looks like you just need to take out that center bolt. No need to remove the spindle mount bolts. An impact gun will make quick work of that job too.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Also, remove large nut on top of spindle, then remove pulley. This will give you access to the nuts. Apply penetrating oil to nuts every few hours and wait a day or so before trying to remove nuts. If nuts are rusted badly, bolt will spin. Grinding is only way to get them out then ! Sometimes we need to buy the correct tool to do a specific job, and this is one of those times! Box stores and Harbor Freight carry "relatively" cheap angle grinders ($50 +/-), but don't get the top of the line as they can run several hundred $$. Bob

·
Super Moderator
28,851 Posts
Thank you so much for your diagram!

Seems like an impact driver might be a better fit here? Especially if I want to change the blades an I dont have a grinder
Just letting you know what I would do to get it off. Impact tool will work too, as the others stated make sure to take nut off the top of the pulley. You may have to use a puller to get the pulley off the spindle as well, they are normally on there very tight.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Here's a little helping trick to keep in your toolbox. A block of wood. Can be a small piece of 2x4 or anything similar. Block the blade to the side of the deck and take that pulley nut off the top. Once that's off, now block the blade again in order to remove the bottom bolt that holds the blade on. Presto, you have the pulley and blade off safely and can remove the nuts to get the spindle assembly off the deck.

·
Super Moderator
28,851 Posts
I didn't think about this till today, but have you inspected the other spindle to make sure there are no cracks or breaks in it? Hate to see you do all that work, button it up then have to go back under and do it again later.

·
Long Time Thread Stalker
310 Posts
Use a large socket and a hammer to drive it back onto the shaft. Also, it really not meant for cutting anything other than grass. It is reckless and / or careless to mow over foreign material with a $7,000 GT, just my honest opinion

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks!

But what the **** did i spend 7k on if i cant at least drive over some small trees and overgrowth on my 3 acres!? It's the stumps that did it, and those were unintentional. They were just burried under weeds.

Btw this mower is an absolute beast. I've accidentally run over so many stumps and large rocks and chipped the mountains that come up through my back yard along with intentionally running over small trees and some wild *** bushes and It's never really broken until now. Much praise John Deere!!

1 - 20 of 62 Posts