My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Craftsman lawn tractor (YS5000, 2008 model) and I need to change my blades. I need to buy a jack to lift it and I'm not sure what is the best type of jack (in terms of safety, cost, longevity, etc.) to use or the the best way to do it.

Do you suggest a hydraulic car jack such as:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00950280000P?keyword=scissor+jack

Or an old fashion, but more expensive scissor auto jack such as this:

http://auto.sears.com/Product.htm?catalogId=10623&productId=2013569

Also, what is the safest way to change my blades?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions and help.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't want to remove the deck and I don't have to remove the deck on my tractor to change the blades. I want to raise the tractor high enough so I can get under it to change the blades safely.

·
Registered
191 Posts
If you're gonna get under it, you'll need a jack and a couple jack stands. Once you have it on jack stands, you don't need to worry about the jack failing and crushing you/your arm/etc.

I hate getting under anything, so I take my deck off for that stuff.

·
Registered
129 Posts
sausesq,

The best, safest and easiest way is to remove the deck. That way you can not only change the blades, but also inspect the deck underneath and remove any debris, rust, etc.

If you insist on "doing it your way" Sears, and probably others, makes a special lift system you just run under the front or rear axle, and push down to raise the tractor.

I personally use a small floor jack (like they use in auto shops only smaller). It's fast, it jacks high and when collapsed, it's very small so you can get it under the whatever. It's also good for jacking the tractor up to remove the deck. The clearances under the axles are very small. It's self-centering as you jack preventing the load from falling off. For the amount you're going to use it, it may not be the best choice or neatest little toy, but it's small, cheap and useable for other things beside lifting your tractor.

Regardless, if you are going to work underneath, you need to get some jack stands to support it because you can't trust jacks. My favorite is actually large blocks of wood, you know, from tree trunks. They don't have as much tendancy to tip. Out here we call them Redneck or Kentucky Jack Stands!

Runningbare

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
I have a Craftsman lawn tractor (YS5000, 2008 model) and I need to change my blades. I need to buy a jack to lift it and I'm not sure what is the best type of jack (in terms of safety, cost, longevity, etc.) to use or the the best way to do it.

Do you suggest a hydraulic car jack such as:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00950280000P?keyword=scissor+jack

Or an old fashion, but more expensive scissor auto jack such as this:

http://auto.sears.com/Product.htm?catalogId=10623&productId=2013569

Also, what is the safest way to change my blades?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions and help.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Look to the left. Somewhere here on the forum, because of inquiring minds, I've given some instructions on how this is accomplished.

It's completely safe but when I engage the pto to see how things are running under there I have the grand kids step back just a bit. I can do it while standing beside her because "OTHER" (that's the tractor's name) has no safety shut downs.

Now if I could just figure a way to check blade tip speed while she is up there.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
My wife got me one of these for my motorcycle, but it works great for a garden tractor. I just jack-up the front and it gives plenty of room to change the blades. It has safety bars that won't let it fall, if the hydro fails.

·
15,000 +posts!
20,440 Posts
I use either my engine crane or a gantry crane with a winch,or a chain falls to hoist my tractors up to work under them..the biggest pain doing it that way is it tends to want to roll away while your picking it up,unless you put a log behind the rear wheels..I also put a 4x4 wood post under it like a tall jack stand if I get under it--as a safety...

·
Registered
34 Posts
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Look to the left. Somewhere here on the forum, because of inquiring minds, I've given some instructions on how this is accomplished.

It's completely safe but when I engage the pto to see how things are running under there I have the grand kids step back just a bit. I can do it while standing beside her because "OTHER" (that's the tractor's name) has no safety shut downs.

Now if I could just figure a way to check blade tip speed while she is up there.
Maybar:

You could go here and purchase a tachometer. You could use a hole in the top of the deck to aim the tach down at the blades. Shine a flashlight up from under the deck to give the tach a light source. Once you have blade RPM's tip speed is a simple calculation.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I set my ramp up on my truck like I am going to load the tractor, drive the front up the ramp and stop, set brake, shut tractor off, get off tractor and put chock blocks behind the back wheels.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I set my ramp up on my truck like I am going to load the tractor, drive the front up the ramp and stop, set brake, shut tractor off, get off tractor and put chock blocks behind the back wheels.

Ditto..
I drive mine up on the trlr ramps, set the brake, block the back wheels,
it works great..

Bob..

·
Registered
519 Posts
I bought a used engine hoist off of Craigs list for $100.00 it easily picks up the front end. And I have it around for any other heavy job that comes along.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Noticed that some Bad Boy ZT models now have a receiver hitch on the front that accepts an optional top wind trailer jack. Great idea!!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts