My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve priced a JD2320, a Boomer, a BX23s, and am waiting to hear about a B series. I am looking to use this tractor as a backhoe with a mid mount mower. I have a 790 I have decided to keep and a New Holland Workmaster 55. So this will be a lawn mower and backhoe. Any suggestions? I’m worried the BX won’t dig anything in my clay and like the 2320 72” mower deck better, but the dealer is crap to deal with and the next one is an hour away. Kubota and New Holland is closer, but the Workmaster is not near the quality of the 790 I own, so worried about quality there. Trying to get others opinions any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I would look at a MF GC1700 series also. They make a dandy package.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will do...only problem is the dealers isn’t established in this area and next closest is an hour.

·
Registered
100 Posts
That 790 will handle a backhoe attachment much better than a BX23. Have you looked into adding a backhoe to it instead? Typically SCUT's and CUT's aren't the greatest at mowing lawns. They are OK around the barn and mowing in fields but the quality of cut isn't comparable to a lawn tractor. I have done it with mine but prefer not to.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I looked at the 790 hoe option but I had to leave it on all the time or never use the PTO again as the subframe would have to come off every time I needed to use it. That can’t happen as I use that for a filler and bush hog. So I bought a 2032 with loader, MMM, and backhoe. Also added third function kit, just in case. Should receive the tractor this week or early next....they got held up by the WR long kit not having the correct hydraulic hose length “standard” and had to order and it’s taken about 10 days to get them. I really don’t care about my lawn I’m more of a is it cut down, then it’s good type of guy. Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
100 Posts
You will be very happy with the 2032. I have the first gen 2025r and absolutely love it and the MMM is a monster. Congrats on the new tractor and toys.

·
Registered
287 Posts
You will be very happy with the 2032. I have the first gen 2025r and absolutely love it and the MMM is a monster. Congrats on the new tractor and toys.
Which MMM do you have? 60" or 72"? Looking at getting a 2038R with the 72" and never have mowed with a CUT. Currently mow with a Gravely ZT that mows great of course. But looking at downsizing from the Gravely ZT and a Branson 4520C to just a 2038R JD with 72" mower.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I ended up getting the 62" deck. I wanted the 72" but I would have had issues getting into some areas in the pasture due to tree spacing and one small 6" gate. The 62" will fit but I have to bungie the chute up to get through. Only real pain is having to manually activate and hold the ROS switch to mow in reverse. There are plenty of workarounds for that problem though.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I ended up getting the 62" deck. I wanted the 72" but I would have had issues getting into some areas in the pasture due to tree spacing and one small 6" gate. The 62" will fit but I have to bungie the chute up to get through. Only real pain is having to manually activate and hold the ROS switch to mow in reverse. There are plenty of workarounds for that problem though.
Ya, the ol RIO switch. Pain in the butt. But....I've had 2 previous JD's and they've both had it. Got used to it but frustrating to say the least. With a 3 year old running around...I suppose it's probably better to keep it in tact than override it.

·
Registered
3,866 Posts
I would second Massey. I have 2017 GC1715 TLB and its awesome. Green tax would have added a few thousand for a nicer seat and a couple hp. I'm lucky my dealer is 20 minutes down the road, where Kubota and JD are an hour. But if it was flopped the other way I'd still have a Massey

·
Registered
100 Posts
With the addition of a couple of zip ties, I can now mow in reverse too.
I don't begrudge anyone buying another brand of tractor but I also can't offer any complaints about my JD or the friendly service I get from the dealer. During their sales the prices are awesome and the 6 year warranty and 6 year 0% financing was another great deal. I also got a price break for being retired military, so overall I think JD puts a pretty good product out that has served me very well. My salesman lives about 4 miles away and if I let him know ahead of time, he picks the tractor up on his way into work for service and drops it off in the afternoon on his way home. We have 3 Deere dealers within 15 miles, a Kubota dealer about 25 miles away and the nearest Massey dealer is over an hour away. We do have a Mahindra dealer close but never considered them. Buy what you feel comfortable with and enjoy it. If it's green, good on you. If its red, good on you, too.

·
Registered
447 Posts
If I felt the need to own a backhoe I certainly wouldn’t get one on a compact or worse yet subcompact frame. You can buy decent used full sized tractor style all day long for way less money. And they can actually perform some work. Then get a dedicated mower with your savings.
And Id second your concerns about NH vs Deere or any of the competition. Overrated and overpriced junk.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I guess that is why we all have opinions. One man's junk is another man's treasure. I've owned junk in the past and I do not consider the newer SCUT's and CUT's trash, no matter the brand name. I am sure there are others on here who think a backhoe is a waste of money and a piece of junk and everyone should own an excavator and a dozer, something you can actually perform work with. BTW, he has already bought the JD 2032.

·
Registered
48 Posts
If I felt the need to own a backhoe I certainly wouldn’t get one on a compact or worse yet subcompact frame. You can buy decent used full sized tractor style all day long for way less money. And they can actually perform some work. Then get a dedicated mower with your savings.
And Id second your concerns about NH vs Deere or any of the competition. Overrated and overpriced junk.
That's your opinion.
I have a backhoe for my compact tractor and it works quite well for everything I have ever needed.
I certainly don't want/need a wore out full size backhoe to store and maintain.

My previous tractor was John Deere 850. (fairly similar to the OP's 790)
I replaced it with a Kioti DK 35, 18 years ago.
Its been an excellent tractor. If the JD 850 was better or more reliable than my Kioti DK you would have to show me where. I certainly don't see it after owning both for years.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well I’ve dug up a septic and a water line in two days with the compact already and loved every second of not shoveling but a tiny amount and I’m just getting used to it. I already ya e two full size tractors a NH Workmaster 55 witch does the hay and grapples huge logs etc...and my favorite the John Deere 520 which is my disc, plow, the garden with so didn’t need a bigger tractor. And yeah JD, Kubota, Mahindra there’s some minor things but sometimes it ain’t worth the price.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ya, the ol RIO switch. Pain in the butt. But....I've had 2 previous JD's and they've both had it. Got used to it but frustrating to say the least. With a 3 year old running around...I suppose it's probably better to keep it in tact than override it.
You can turn the RIO off by pressing the buttons on the dash is a certain sequence to disable it. Just make sure you turn it back on before you go to the dealer for any service. The procedure can be found on greentactortalk or on Youtube. Just look up RIO disable.

·
AKA Moses Lawnagan
4,624 Posts
Typically SCUT's and CUT's aren't the greatest at mowing lawns.
I'd always heard that too, but the 62D2 deck on my 2520 does as good a job as the 54C on my X748 did. And the 2520 doesn't have a RIO, and it's newer than my X7 was, that had one. I certainly don't miss it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts