My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Deceased 8/2010
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are moving into our first acreage (1.2 acres) in a few weeks from the city life. The acreage is very flat with maybe 12 trees in all.

I am looking at a new x300 Deer for $2999 and really like it.
But....to save money, there is a local guy that is selling (2) of his Sears TRactor mower for $500-$550. This is what I know about it.... 42" cut, Hydrostat Transmission, 15.5hp Kohler and says one is a 2004 and one is a 2005. Mowers are in VERY good condition.

My question is- How are these Sears mowers in those years? I want something that will cut my grass and maybe pull a light load on a trailer. I am pretty handy so I know how to wrench on things.

Thanks much for any help you can offer a new guy!

·
Registered
4,737 Posts
It's probably a good idea - considering that you are "new" to the acreage life... to buy the sears machines for $500 (cheap), use them for a year or two, and then peddle them off for the same $500, and then go buy a more stout garden tractor.

By then you will know what you like and dislike on the sears units, which will help set the criteria for your next tractor purchase (in terms of capability, features, paint-color, etc).

The sears units will mow no-problem, and pull a light-load no problem. You're good to go. - with not a lot of up-front investment.

Cheers!

·
Citizen of Earth
16,622 Posts
I agree with the above also. Get your feet wet with minimal investment, see what these can do and not do for you and make a much better educated decision on a new one a few years down the road . Also think about what other things you might want a tractor to do, like maybe tilling a garden? removing snow? pulling an airator? If any of these are possibilities, then your tractor needs and cost of attachments goes up. If when the Sears machines are finally used up, maybe you will have decided that cutting grass is all you will ever do, and then the new replacement tractor won't have to even cost the $2999 you are looking at now.

·
USMC
19,144 Posts
I agree with the above also. Get your feet wet with minimal investment, see what these can do and not do for you and make a much better educated decision on a new one a few years down the road . Also think about what other things you might want a tractor to do, like maybe tilling a garden? removing snow? pulling an airator? If any of these are possibilities, then your tractor needs and cost of attachments goes up. If when the Sears machines are finally used up, maybe you will have decided that cutting grass is all you will ever do, and then the new replacement tractor won't have to even cost the $2999 you are looking at now.
:ditto: :ditto: slkpk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.