My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a briggs 16hp. It has a coil added to it, Negative from coil to points and condenser, positive to flywheel stator. trying to do a bench test before i put it in a tractor but i have very weak spark. Any suggestions, diagrams, or pictures to help me please. I put a new coil on it but still the same.

·
Premium Member
5,747 Posts
If this was converted to battery-coil ignition, you will need the battery. The stator/rectifier is not designed to produce enough output to run an ignition system at cranking speed.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That might explain it. Ill go try that soon as my wife gets back. Twin 3 1/2 girls one sick one crazy. Thanks

·
Lindeman crawler fan
2,707 Posts
If it takes a 12 volt battery ( I'm assuming it does ), be sure to put a ballast resister in the (+) wire going to the coil.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
running to the battery worked, got it to fire right off putting a little gas right in the jug. I get my carb back tomorow. About the ballast resistor, can you get them any where not a hundred percent sure on what im looking for.

·
My True Colors-Red+Silver
728 Posts
Yup, any auto parts store should be able to get one if its not already on hand.

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
running to the battery worked, got it to fire right off putting a little gas right in the jug. I get my carb back tomorow. About the ballast resistor, can you get them any where not a hundred percent sure on what im looking for.
Depending on the coil you have you may not need a resistor. Some coils have an internal resistor. If you do need a ballast resistor I've had good luck using the ceramic block type used by Chrysler Corporation for years. Mid 70's cars and pickups had them. Tough and long lived with moderate expense.

Mike

1 - 7 of 7 Posts