My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1987 Wheelhorse with a 11hp Briggs Stratton motor. I noticed a head gasket leak on the top approximate center of the piston area so I replaced the head gasket. I tightened up the bolts and there still seems to be a leak in the same place. I can see the combustion in that area with the lights off. Compression still only 85 but the motor runs. I have gotten the bolts as tight as I feel comfortable and they will come loose with use. Also, I'm getting a weird noise that I would also call a squeel or whistle when the motor has been used for a little while. Usually bogs down when you hear this noise.

Seems to be running really hot as well.

What do you think, Is there anything I can do to improve the performance?

·
Premium Member
5,747 Posts
Verify that the cooling system is clean, particularly the area between the valves and the cylinder. I would suspect your head is either warped or has a small spot burned out from a previous failure. Be sure the head bolts are in the correct locations (three long ones around the exhaust valve), and that they thread easily to their full depth. Otherwise, your bolt torque is simply overcoming resistance, not clamping the head.

·
Banned
2 Posts
what is the resolution?

I would check the head with a straight edge..I would also check the bolt hole to see if its out of round ...as for the bolt try another one in that hole ..I use a dad of high heat silicone on the threads of the bolts ..Or you cold get another head for it ...By chance is the plug tight has it ever been cross threaded i would check that also

1 - 6 of 6 Posts