My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to all. I need a couple of pulleys for my David Bradley Super Power. The main pulley sandwiched between the clutch discs (#6271M1, aluminum) is broken, and the pulley on the sickle bar clutch has a crack in it, so my restoration is basically dead in the water. Can anybody help me out with this, or refer me to some place where I can get them? Of course, there was one on eBay last week, but I brought the tractor home after that and didn't know I would be needing any. Just wondering....was there ever a subsequent retrofit to a steel pulley? I haven't been able to find out one way or another. This one has the nicest original hood I've ever seen, short of a restored hood. Thanks for reading and for the help if you can.

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
being the drivin pulley is part of the clutch, from what it looks like on mine, i doubt rural king has em. maybe have one made? i'm very new to these and may have missed something.

·
Electrician
937 Posts
Ebay seems to be the best place I have found yet for my DB parts. I also had pretty good luck finding parts tractors here and there but I just never needed one yet. Best of luck and keep looking you'll get them.

·
Electrician
937 Posts
If it has 2 discs, it's the spring type clutch which is an older model. I know the later ones were ball lock clutches with one disc and cast iron pulley. They can be converted if you find one that is complete.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi. In reply to Mike McFadden's post, no I haven't found the parts yet, along with a few other parts I need which I mentioned in my original posting. In reply to Ariensman's post, my Super Power is a 51-53 Model 917.57560/Briggs. It has the ball-lock clutch on the main drive with aluminum pulley #6271M1 and 2 clutch discs. This is the pulley which is broken. The sickle bar uses the same aluminum pulley with only 1 clutch disc, and that pulley has a crack in it. Even if I swapped pulleys, the tractor would now move, but I would have no sickle bar, whiuch is why I got the tractor in the first place. I have never been a fan of any aluminum pulleys, and still cannot understand why DB ever used them. I know some of the lower model # tractors (than mine) used a cast iron pulley which I much prefer, but those from what I can tell only work with the older clutch setup which I don't have, ; there are no clutch adjustment "circle tabs" on the cast pulleys - machining even back then would have been too complex. That's the only reason I can see why they went to a cast aluminum pulley. If I'm wrong on any of this let me know, because the only good pulley in my mind is a cast iron one. Thanks to both of you for at least answering me. I also posted this request at the same time in the For Sale /Wanted To Buy Section, and had a lot of members read the post, but not one reply........

·
Registered
55 Posts
I've got two parts sickle bar mowers... I think I can bring myself to part with one of the pulleys... I'll take a few pics and post them here so you can tell me which one you want.

I've taken my ball lock clutch apart several times and as posted by someone else, only have one clutch disk... But I'm far from a pro on DB's or anything else for that matter... As they say, what I don't know about Ball Lock Clutches can fill a book.

That having been said I don't see how there would be enough room between the pullies for a second disk... Are you sure you have a stock mechine there??? My DB is a little newer than yours, the Model number 917.57571 (Bronze/Cream color) I have two cast iron pullys one with a clutch plate riveted to the pully and one without a clutch plate... It's easy to tell there was never a plate on the second pully because there are no marks on it where it would have been fastened there. Not saying yours is the same. I do have an older one don't know the modle off the top of my head, but that has cast iron pullys too...

Anyway... I'll post the parts I have and if you want them let me know...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Alright... I took some pictures of both the sickle bar mower I have to show you the pully... which turns out to be aluminum. I guess I really hadn't taken a close look at it.

I also took a few shots of the pullies on my Super 3... incase you're interested....

by the way, if you know anyone who may have a rewind shroud for an AU8 Continental Engine, I'd be in the market for that... It's the only part I need to make my Super 3 100%...

Mike.

Attachments

·
Registered
297 Posts
there is a place in ohio where i get my DB stuff i only have the number they will ship or whatever i forget the name but the number is 216-486-2000 they do very good work keep posting your finds and status

1 - 11 of 11 Posts