My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys and gals,

I'm new here and first off I want to thank everybody for putting together this great site!!

My Husqvarna LTH 130 took a dump on me the day before yesterday. The actual deck separated at the welds that held it to the piece with all the pulleys!! What a crappy design!! I've had other trouble with it before so it's time for a new one.

Anyways, I've been doing a lot of reading and searching on here in the past 24 hours. I'm sorry because I know this question has probably been answered many times but it is very hard to search for the answer I've been looking.

I have a little over an acre to cut and really don't use my mower for anything else. My yard is 90% flat with a couple of small hills. Nothing serious at all. I want at least a 42" and don't want to spend over $1500. I've looked at Lowes, HD, and Sears. All have mowers in this range. I'm considering a Cub, JD, or Craftsman. WHICH SHOULD I GO WITH??!!

I'm really leaning towards Craftsman because they have a pretty good sale going on now and I can use the interest free period. Will any of these be ok??? Click on the red one in the center to see the ones I'm considering.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/c_10153_12605_Lawn+&+Garden_Riding+Mowers+&+Tractors?adCell=W3

or this

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/grd/1163457591.html

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. I might purchase later this afternoon or towards the middle of the week. I will consider used too but don't really want anything over 4-5 years old. Thanks in advance for all your help!

·
Retired Aug.31 2007
7,473 Posts
In your price range the Craftsman is as good as any. I would look at used GT mowers before I purchased. You should be able to find one in your price range.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
For a flat acre I'd go to a 48" mower unless you've got tight places to get through. If your mechanically inclined and normally do your own maintance and repairs then I'd get a good used GT. If not then something new with a good warranty on it. And from a place that has a good service dept such as a dealer, not a box store.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks Butch. Yes, I do all my own maintenance and really don't want to go to a box store. One problem is that I don't know what to look for in a used machine. I mean how do I know the used one didn't come from a Lowes or HD.

So are you saying stay away from box stores because of service or quality of product??

Another I found on CL

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/grd/1161592829.html

·
Super Moderator
29,532 Posts
first, :Welcome1:

So are you saying stay away from box stores because of service or quality of product??
both. the products are low end and not designed to last many years. sure, with proper maintenance it may be good for 10 years. or the whole thing could fall apart and leave you only with a good engine! box stores do not do their own service, they contract it out. if you have an ongoing problem you may/may not get the same company workign on it each time. of course, if they did nto fix it the first time this could be good. in general though, the service is poor and SLOW to get to you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks David! I try to avoid as much as possible taking my mower anywhere to get serviced or repaired due to lack of funds and I really enjoy working on and learning about what I own. I'm just pretty torn at this point.

Do you guys think that Sears would be better about quality/service compared to Lowes or HD?? Just seems like they would strive to produce/create a better product since their smaller. I'm just thinking though...

·
Retired Aug.31 2007
7,473 Posts
If the JD has only 86 hours I would grab it in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Thats a great buy , I'm just north of you , up here in Columbia SC and I see those are a lot more here than whats he's asking . I'd go for it with 86 hours and you'll be a happy camper for years to come . just keep the matinance on it and will last a good long time , keep those blades sharp.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I ended up going with the JD LT155. Man it's in awesome shape and is built really tough! Think I got a great deal for $1300!! Thanks for all the help guys!!

·
AKA Moses Lawnagan
4,642 Posts
Do you guys think that Sears would be better about ......../service compared to Lowes or HD?? ...
Unless they've changed a lot since my experience with Sears "customer service", that would be a big NO.

The Craig's List mower looks like a good deal, and would serve you well for what your stated use is.

If you go with your first option (Cub, JD, or Craftsman), at that price point, I feel it pretty much boils down to what color do you like best? Don't get me wrong, even though I think Sears service leaves tons to be desired, they make a good light-duty GT. And I am a big JD fan, happy owner of two. CC seems to be in the same ballpark with the others in that price range. Who'll give you the better deal, and your favorite color seem to be the decision makers, since you work on your own machines. Or, looking at good used machines, check them out personally if possible. You should (and would) know what makes it worth having.

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
Alright, I found this JD LT155 that was purchased from a dealer back in 03 for $3800. It's 38" cut but that should be fine. It's been garaged in climate control ever since new and seems to be in great condition. He will take $1300. What do you guys think???

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/grd/1137233857.html
Thats a nice LT155 and you got it for a decent price.But I just have to say that seller is full of BS about it costing $3800.00 new.I have a LX277 and it is a 2003 model year and that about what it cost new so how could a LT155 be $3800.00?Correct me if im wrong or missed something.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts