My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Last friday i bought a little riding mower that i just could'nt pass up but it needs a little bit of love. its a john deere 65. It has what seems to be a 5 hp tecumse engine that smokes just a bit and the carburator could use some adjustement. It's got a nice 3 speed tranny that is almost as big as the motor. I was able to ride it the clutch ,brake and mower work fine it's just rusted but i have already fixed most of that with some john deere green corostop paint. My neighbor says i should not invest in the motor and should insted switch it to a brigg. He has offered me a 10 hp that he has but has'nt given me the price he wants for it. I guess it would be more efficient with the bigger motor but i thought it might be cool to restore the tractor to it's original glory. It looks like a simple and well built little deere. Are any of you familiar with this model? if so can anyone give me an idea of when it was built and if they are worth investing in. I will try to post a picture of it. By the way i paid 60.00$ for it. Thank you in advance.

Attachments

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
Depending of course upon what your neighbor wants for the engine, I believe I would determine why the engine smokes.

Do they sell "écume de mer" up in Quebec? A little in the gas, a little in the oil, and a little down the throat of the carb, and maybe your smoking problem is not so bad.

Nice looking RER, BTW.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the response. I think i had the solution right here at home, i sold another rider that i had bought previously the very same day that i bought the jd it was a yard man p.o.s it was really made cheap but it had an 8 hp brigg that was in real good shape. I sold the darn thing for 100.00$ and i did'nt think i was going to get a lot of calls but within 3 hours i had 5 calls and it was gone. starting to think i should have stripped it since the seat was in fairly good condition and the jd's seat is seriously dammaged. I was not aware that tractor seats are so expensive. Anyway we learn from making mistakes in life i guess. I'm going to enjoy working on the old rider it sure is neat.:thanku:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts